Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Tricks to Triumph timing?

15K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GrandPaulZ 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 1971 T120 Tiger and thought I'd check the timing as it had a slight ping under load. I studied the ignition timing instructions in the workshop manual and established the timing is checked at 2000 rpm if you are doing it dynamically. So here's the dilema. How did the original Triumph mechanics do it when you needed one hand and a set of eyes to hold the throttle and keep the engine at 2000 rpm, another set of hands & eyes to point the timing light at the timing marks on the L/H side of the engine and yet another set of hands and eyes to adjust the timing at the points plate on the R/H side of the engine. I managed to do the job with my son helping me but would be very interested to find out what other owners do in this situation?
Cheers,
John Quinnell
:???: :hammer:

[ This message was edited by: johnquinnell on 2005-10-09 21:39 ]

#2 ·
John,
Yep - interesting dilemma, isn't it. Helps to have a few mates around, and a slab of Resche's.

Here's how I do it. Take off the points cover, and check the gaps. Start and warm the engine. . Take off the inspection cover over the alternator rotor (timing mark). Connect timing light. Steering all the way to the right. Squatting on the ground on LHS, aim timing light and wind up the throttle. The mechanical advance stops advancing the timing about 2500 revs, and it's quite noticable - increase throttle for no futher increase in timing advance. Stop engine, adjust points, check again. Repeat until correct, and for other cylinder if running a twin.

#3 ·
I would just set the timing to where it does'nt ping under load. Just keep backing it off slightly until no ping. On the older stuff using set numbers should only be considered as getting you in the ball park....or if you have access to race fuel. I never bothered going by the factory numbers as it will always ping due to low quality gasoline available. Seat of the pants tuning is the way to go....IMO

On 2005-10-09 21:08, johnquinnell wrote:
Hi,
I have a 1971 T120 Tiger and thought I'd check the timing as it had a slight ping under load. I studied the ignition timing instructions in the workshop manual and established the timing is checked at 2000 rpm if you are doing it dynamically. So here's the dilema. How did the original Triumph mechanics do it when you needed one hand and a set of eyes to hold the throttle and keep the engine at 2000 rpm, another set of hands & eyes to point the timing light at the timing marks on the L/H side of the engine and yet another set of hands and eyes to adjust the timing at the points plate on the R/H side of the engine. I managed to do the job with my son helping me but would be very interested to find out what other owners do in this situation?
Cheers,
John Quinnell
:???: :hammer:

#4 ·
I'm not sure who mentioned this..'you need someone to hold the bike down from walking around the floor'... something like that... That got my memory clicking, reving up a 69 while holding the timing light, the bike scoots all over the garage. LOL.. My 59 was a bear to time, it has a magneto on a taper shaft, if you do not get it right the 1st time you have to break it loose from the taper and go at it again. One of the tools the factory manual calls for is a 'stick' to stick into the spark plug hole and markd TDC then place a mark (depending on model) so far dowm the first mark. Bring the piston down and back up to the lower mark and set the points to open,when the advance is locked, then push the mag on the shaft & check it . As the Penguin said in Batman, "I think the word you are looking for is..AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Great fun,eh? Here is another from the factory manual. "to see if the return oil line from the sump does not have a break in it, put a rubber hose on it and suck on it. If the hose collapses, the line is fine" Imagine the EPA etc. today if they had to deal with this. We are loosing a lot of knowlege with the passing of the old timers. Maybe the reason they are called old timers is because the could time an old bike from the seat of their pants.

[ This message was edited by: red59 on 2005-10-10 07:18 ]

#5 ·
I don't know if your bike still has it, but there's a screw and locknut on the throttle "drum" to allow you to set the tension on the twistgrip. That way, you can bring the revs up where you need them and it'll stay there. I do it all the time. You could also put a large rubber o-ring between the flare of the grip and the switch body to act as a temporary "3rd hand".

Just my $.02 worth: Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.