Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

plugged up carbs and crappy gas

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Flattrack loon 
#1 ·
I used to have a trophy 5 or 6 years ago, been missing it, but I hesitate to buy any carburetor bike these days because of the gas we have plugs up jets so fast, are people having trouble with this on the Trophy's? thanks bete

#2 ·
I think my biggest concern would be the condition of the carburation BEFORE I got the bike, or how much you're willing to get it to be right on your own. I've had my Trophy for three seasons now and was fortunate that the carburation when I got it was spot on with apparantly clean units. Now all I do is add Stabil to the tank a few days in anticipation of "the last ride" so it gets to the bowls etc and thats it. Have had no issues with gas come spring, or during the riding season for that matter either.

#3 ·
lol biking used to be so easy,you rode it in spring summer/early autumn,put it away for the winter, then tickled the carbs,gave it choke then kicked it over maybe three times and off you went. such is progress

#5 ·
Its not all that hard to start a bike once a month,is it?
Even current gas doesnt go bad and plug carbs with just the barest of effort. Start the bike,get it warm,occasionally put some fresh gas in.
Let em sit all winter then take the carbs off and clean em otherwise.

#6 ·
I agree. When on the off season I start my bikes up once a month. Gas will not go bad in six months and I have never used stabilizers on the advice of my mechanic. I've never had a problem with the carbs gumming up or causing problems once the regular riding season begins.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
The only carb bike I have now is a KLR650 it does plug it in 30 days, I have got good at cleaning it, what works best is to drain it after each ride but the carbs on the Trophy are a lot tougher to get at. I will just have to be diligent on on running it regular. thanks for the advice. bete

#8 ·
1. Buy good gas (like Chevron)
2. If you park the bike for long periods, keep it on a battery tender and start it every couple of weeks (at least) and let it warm up.

Nearly all of the currently available 'gas' is at least 10% Ethanol, and if left sitting it WILL separate, and the liquid that is not gasoline will be at the bottom of the tank (where the fuel pickup is). You gotta mix that stuff up every once in a while (rocking the bike back and forth is how I do that), and always before you start it.

#1 above is - in my humble opinion - the reason why I have bikes that have sat for six months without gumming up the carburetors. There really is a difference. Save a few pennies per tank on your gas and you'll pay far more later, whether the payment is in the time it takes you to pull, disassemble, clean and reassemble your carbs, or the money it costs to pay someone else to do it.

:cool:

#9 ·
1. Buy good gas (like Chevron)
<...>
#1 above is - in my humble opinion - the reason why I have bikes that have sat for six months without gumming up the carburetors.<...>
Actually, speaking specifically of Chevron, it's not just your opinion. Chevron adds Techron, one of the few fuel system additives/cleaners that actually does something, to its gas. BMW sells a re-labeled version of Techron as BMW Fuel System Cleaner. It's good stuff, and buying gas from Chevron is quite a bit cheaper than adding half a can of Seafoam to a tank of someone else's gas.

Cheers,
-Kit

#12 ·
I totally agree that gas these days does get a bad wrap, and it does seem to store better than others think. I just guess for the extra insurance is why I add Stabil. Actually though I halve the recommendation. My figuring right or wrong is that the manufacturer of anything wants to sell more. So I look at it like dog food recomendations. If I fed my dog the Purena recomendtion, my fit dog would be fat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.