Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

AMA or AAA?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Canuck_T100 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I'm about to head out on a cross continent tour across the south. I'm coming down from Ontario, Canada and I think it would be a good idea to have road side assistance.
I've done some searching and it appears that AAA is not so motorcycle friendly. In your experience and if you were doing this trip would you sign up for AMA or AAA?
Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
Being in Canada, this may not particularly fit... But being an AMA member, if you sign up for automatic renewal via a credit card, your perk is free roadside assistance for ALL your vehicles... Cars, motorcycles, whatever... I've used it once for a flat on my Bonnie... worked a treat... made a phone call, a wrecker with a trailer showed up and took me to a dealer to get a new tire... So for me it's a no brainer... I've been AMA member for years and when they came up with the perk, I jumped on it...

As to which is better... AMA or Triple A? Hey, they both just call a wrecker service they have under contract... I would think the AMA service would be more structured and oriented towards motorcyclists... as that is their core constituency...

#9 ·
AAA covers bikes with the optional RVPlus coverage.

The AAA towing coverage is good for 100 miles I believe.

The AMA towing coverage is only good for 35 miles.

If you're the kind of rider that does more than just riding for an ice cream cone on a Sunday afternoon, you will likely find yourself more than 35 miles from a motorcycle shop or brand-specific dealer on a regular basis.

I have used the AMA coverage but also had to pay out of pocket on a 75-mile tow.

I iintend to upgrade my AAA membership to cover the motorcycles ASAP.

#8 ·
I'm with AMA, mainly because I'd rather have money going to the motorcycle lobby than the cager lobby in DC. AAA has almost universal discounts at motels, which is handy on a long trip, where AMA has Choice, Red Roof, and Motel 6 (not hard to find one of the above usually). AMA has a few other nifty motorcycle-specific benefits as well.

#10 ·
If you join the AMA you can set broken bones and write prescriptions, I think.

#12 ·
From the AAA website:
For only $37 more per household per membership year you will enjoy:
RV and motorcycle tow benefits up to 100 driving miles
A total of four RV or motorcycle towing or RV tire change service calls per household, each membership year (these calls are in addition to the four roadside assistance calls each cardholder receives per membership year)
Applies to RVs, recreational trailers or motorcycles you own, borrow or rent
Benefits extend across the U.S. and Canada

#13 ·
Canuck is not worrying so much...simply asking a perfectly valid question.

Canuck, I recently heard of a buddy paying a $150 tow charge for 14 miles. No bueno. Some sort of tow coverage is certainly worth the money. I carry a couple of moto straps and several cam straps on big trips just in case one of my moto~brethren or sistren happen by in a truck or has a trailer.

What's your route? First couple o days will be a bit chilly eh!?, or are trucking down the first leg or two?

#14 ·
I like AAA, the AAA Premier package + moroecycle $160 year
It is not cheap. But you get, 4 tows One 200 mile tow;
up to three 100 mile tows, Trip Continuance of Up to $2,000,Hertz #1 Club Gold Membership,if you lose your keys Vehicle Locksmith Service Up to $150, and free gas delivered.

#15 ·
To chilly for sure. Truckin her down to Raleigh NC, riding from there, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Charlotte and down the coast to Florida. Going to spend a few weeks exploring Florida and then head to the west coast.
Any experience getting through Texas? I've read that it's not a pleasant ride.

#16 ·
It appears that to join the AAA you need to live in the U.S. and have a zip code to affiliate you with a local club. Can't get past the main page otherwise.
I'll investigate that further, but maybe the AMA is the only option for me.
I'll be bringing along tools, tubes, my cell phone, credit card etc.
My bike has only 2500km on it, so I expect it should be reliable.
A flat may be a challenge though, I haven't changed a tube in a motorcycle in decades. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.