Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Help identify this seat

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ultrasummer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm working on a 1970 Bonneville. Before I do any work on this seat, I'd like to know that it is the correct seat for a 70 Bonneville. I'd hate to put the time and effort into it just to find out it's the wrong seat for this year and make. Enclosed is (hopefully) pics of it.

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks correct, comparing it to the one on my '70 Tiger. I don't see any threaded inserts in the pan for the grab rail, which would be correct for that year, and the cover looks like an original one, with the, what I call, "pin holes" in it.

Hope this helps: Jim

#3 ·
Threaded inserts for the seat pan grab rail were used only in 69 not 70. On a fast look pan looks like a 70 style but 2 of the rubber bumpers are incorrect. Also note the same seat was used on 500 twins 1970 thru 1974.
Take care of the cover you have as you will not be able to replace it with the same pattern.

K

#4 ·
Interesting. The seat fit well. Never noticed that two of the rubber bumpers didn't rest directly on the frame as supposed to but I'll have to check and see if that's the case. I should have added, this is not a concourse restoration. I see different sites have the new cover with the Triumph lettering in gold along with the chrome trim ring for sale. I was hoping to buy one of those. If the fit works out, I'd be happy. Not too worried about "pin holes". Thanks for all info. Greatly appreciated and welcome other opinions.

#5 ·
Hi Ultra,

The top of the twinseat of my 70 looks to be the same pattern as yours. So does the seat pan. The rear of my cover was torn along the edge of the seat pan but the top was in really nice condition. I found an upholsterer in Ohio, near Toledo, who repairs vintage motorcycle seats. He replaced the skirt with new material for $40 US dollars and did a good job. Lucky for me, the foam was in very good condition and my seat cover now looks like new.

Since you are in Ohio, I could forward you the contact information of the upholsterer if you would be interested. I would have to do some digging so it would take a few days. FYI, he gets very busy in the summer.

Henry

#6 ·
Thanks Henry. Sounds like you found a good fix for your situation. Actually mine's in good condition other than you can't read "Triumph" on the rear. Oh and my imitation chrome strip around the edge is shot. Maybe I'll just suck it up and keep what I have and get a new chrome trim piece.....that is if it's the correct seat for this bike, which by the sounds of it, it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.