Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Looking at a 2000 TT600

778 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tiriana 
#1 ·
Hello all: My name is Scott and I'm from NJ. I'm in search of my first bike, and will be looking at a 2000 600TT with about 11k miles. I have yet to see it, but I'm told by the seller that it's clean, but it needs a rear tire. No maintence records or documentation is available. I'm trying to absorb as much information as possible from the posts in this forum, but would appreciate any advice the forum might have as i move forward on a purchase. Thank you all in advance. Happy holidays to all.

#2 ·
Welcome! The TT is an awesome bike, highly recommended! Handles & rides extremely well! I don't want to get too in depth, but a few things to keep in mind: Triumph's are unique and finicky. that's just how they go, they need extra lovin' & attention to be happy! Parts are harder to find. Common/typical issues: crap plastic fuel quick-connects break just by looking at them (easy < $100 fix). & TTs love to burn up their stators & regulators/rectifiers. (~$300 fix for both). Finally, a 12k mile service is one of the bigger ones. If you go to the stealer, you'll be looking at about $800; but you'll essentially be getting back a brand new bike! in conclusion, TOTALLY worth it. Let us know how your sale progresses.

#4 ·
Zachsdad,
When you go to look at the bike, make sure you take a multimeter with you. Check battery voltage when running, above 14v is very good, around 13.5v is pretty normal for an unaltered charging system. Definitely read up on the electrical upgrades the DEcosse and Oldndumb have posted. Also check the part cross compatability sticky for more affordable parts than OEM.
I just went over 30k mi with mine and it runs better than ever. I bought it as a total wreck and rebuilt it with parts from eBay.
They reward your work and care with fantastic handle, performance and 40+ mpg on 89 octane. They do like eating stators; I get about 2 years out of one. Ricks Motorsports Electrics is a great source for better than OEM parts.
You can get these pretty cheaply and there are still some in great condition.
A buddy of mine bought a 2000 yellow/ black last summer with 2500 mi for $2000.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.