Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Shipping a Bike

847 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ride4321 
#1 ·
I will be shipping my son's bike across the country (Maryland to California). He rides a naked bike, Yamaha FZ8. I'd love to hear any recommendations for shippers and things I should be thinking about to ensure the shipment goes well.

Would shippers be willing to take his helmet and jacket with the bike? Is it reasonable to ask? Perhaps it's better to ship them separately. Thoughts?

#2 ·
OK, this might sound dumb, but there's a TV show called Shipping Wars. They are independent shippers working for a company called UShip. You might try them, they have a website. I'm sure they would take the helmet and jacket too. It looks pretty informal. On the show, they ship everything from antique cars to WW2 tanks. A bike oughta be easy.

Mike

#4 ·
I had a really good experience with STI: http://www.stidelivers.com/IndustrySolution/Motorcycle.aspx

I shipped my S3 from California to Georgia for $200-300 less than any of the uship bids. The downside is you have to drop it off and pick it up from a terminal, but that wasn't a big deal for me. I was 20 minutes from Sacramento and an hour from Atlanta. Anyway, I would really check them out if you're looking to save a bit of cash and don't mind dropping the bike off.

Oh, one more perk, which was actually critical for me, is that you can drop the bike off on your schedule. Any of the Uship shippers come over a range of dates. It's only a couple, but I had a really tight move schedule and couldn't risk them coming late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.