Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Who's doing some winter projects?

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  303frost 
#1 ·
I just bought a zx10r shock, should see it next week. Next on the list is to build a battery tray and get a small profile anti gravity battery and tuck everything underneath the seat so I can get that "see through" frame look. If money permits, I'm going to powder coat the subframe, wheels and spokes, then pods.

I'll have a completely different bike after that!

Anyone else doing anything extensive?

#2 ·
01 Speed Triple Cams, pod filters, jets and shims, Ignitech ignition, used D&D 3 into 3 exhaust that needs a little bit of TLC. Not sure about the wheels. I'll be breaking the spoked wheels down to have the rims powdercoated black, then seal the nipples to make tubeless upon reassembly. I will go with cast wheels when I can find a good deal on a Daytona 595 front end. I need to find shorter risers to mount my clubman's in. I need to get some thermos cups and make some new instrument pods. Paint is going to be Obsidian Black. I have black and white checkered vinyl stripes to lay down under the clear. I still have to get a seat, cowl, fender eliminator, and front fairing. So I have a lot of what I need. I'll see what direction I can go after I know how big of a hit I'm taking over the holidays. I probably might be able to squeeze one more week of riding out this month. Then I'll park her, and start bringing bits of her inside. I can get a lot done over the winter, then finalize and assemble everything in the spring. That's my plan.

#5 ·
Where to begin

Oil changes, brake flushes, new fork oil, radiator flushes, new plugs, hopefully install some requested Christmas bling, and yes Ken chain lubes. Sometimes I feel like the Mother Hubbard of Triumph land but if it wasn't for damn good divorce attorneys there would be more.......

#6 ·
That's one nicely equipped garage there, gbc

#7 ·
Nice!

Lucky man indeed,if you just got divorced and keep those 3 nice Triumphs in the garage, what have you got stored in your living room?:D

#8 ·
Lucky man indeed,if you just got divorced and keep those 3 nice Triumphs in the garage, what have you got stored in your living room?:D
LR,

Sorry I should have been more clear. Been with the current Wife for 26 years now after the first one took everything including my dog. I am still waiting to see if this one is going to work, but I believe one more bike could tip the scale..........

#9 ·
Let the customizations begin! The subframe is EASY to take off. And so was the air box for that matter. All of this took no more than 30 minutes (with the help of impact wrenches)

#10 ·
303Frost,
Where did you find that hugger?

Is that for a daytona 900/1200?

#11 · (Edited)
Yeah it's from the earlier Daytona 900 triple. I picked it up on ebay for $20, there should be a few more. I forget what year it was from, but if you get it, make sure its the style that has the chain guard. It bolts right up to our swing arms. I had to shave a little bit off of the side that bolts down on the brake side, where the bracket support bolts to the swing arm (you have to drill and tap a hole for that side), but other than that, everything else lines up perfectly.

Here's a better pic of it all together. I also have a Thruxton seat and cowl on as well.

#16 ·
My Winter Project

Over the fall I ripped apart My Legend TT. Took off the motor because the transmission sounded like a box of rocks. The third gear was toast. So after finding a used transmission I have started the arduous task of putting it all back together. My hope is to have the engine together by Christmas and then start putting it back into the frame. The engine I will keep stock it is a fine engine as is!!:)
Ultimately The bike will be a cruiser. It sort of already is a cruiser from the factory and the previous owner actually did a really good job of fabricating bars you can attach highway pegs to. I thought about puting forward controls on the bke and still may but the stock controls for the rear brake and shift seem to be fine. I can use the bike like my Sprint ST that I fabricated highway pegs for, shift gears with my foot back and cruise with it up. I will post pictures as the project develops.:hmmthink

#18 ·
..winter projects..?

:cold:coldThruxton fork seals, maybe fender eliminator and LED directionals..tires..... the usual, oh and '84 Whaler Outrage hull:cold:cold repair!!!!!!
Also hoping to secure and instill some life into a Ducati GTV 500...
Need a lond cold winter I think?

#21 · (Edited)
Brought my subframe and front fender to work and went to town on them. shaved about 3 inches off each end of the fender, and cut off all the little mounting tabs for the side covers and battery box tray on the frame. Gonna send the frame off on friday to get powdercoated. Still debating on what color to do. I was thinking a dark red, or gold...

Here is what I'm and trying to achieve. It will be like that, but my wheels will be black and hubs either gold or red, frame gold or red

#23 ·
Mmmm pretty! Too bad I won't see what it feels like for a month or two

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.