Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

New, solid oil cooler pipes for 2013

33K views 92 replies 47 participants last post by  Ringadingdoo 
#1 · (Edited)
It looks like Triumph have decided to make the top oil cooler braided hoses into pre-formed solid pipes, much neater. Have a close look at this picture, I imagine they've done the same for the hose on the other side:

This is the previous model for comparison:

See less See more
#3 ·
would imagine it's been done as a cost cutting measure. Would think that the braided hose was to stop the possibility of the hose fracturing due to vibration. Probably carried out testing to make sure it dosn't.... at least within the warranty period. Before the Thruxton I had a 94 trophy 1200. It was interesting to watch little things being dropped in later years like hydraulic preload adjuster on the rear shock, adjustable hose clamps on the cooling system, less fancy logo on the mirrors ect. Some bean counter is probably paid mega bucks to cut production costs by a few bucks a unit.

#22 ·
I bet there's a flexible/braided piece linking the two solid oil tubes going into each side of the head. The lower oil tube is still a braided piece.

Interesting observation on the bigger-finned cylinder barrels - could Triumph be getting ready for a capacity increase?

#28 ·
Spot on guess Rich. I was at the local dealer and scrutinized a '13.

The hardline is at the head, but just before it reaches the oil cooler it joins to a flexible line that then goes to the oil cooler. I should've taken a pic.

The lastest Jack Pine is using hard lines into the Spurgen oil cooler that they spec as well. No flexible line at all.

http://hammarhead.com/jack-pine.html

#29 ·
I think what your are seeing is the head does not look the same when you shine up the fins on the jugs.I dont think the fins are any bigger but the stand out more.As far as the oil lines go im sure thats just to save triumph money .Looks like every year the bikes get cheaper and cheaper made.

#41 ·
Glad my 04 Bonnie was made in England!

#39 · (Edited)
Thanks for that. Just looked at the Aeroquip site and that type of hose is deemed to be for air conditioning systems :eek::

A/C Hose
Stainless steel braided cover for a professional and custom look. Nylon inner tube for superior refrigerant performance. Lab and field tested with R134a refrigerant. Exclusively designed for use with Eaton’s Aeroquip® A/C fittings to provide a superior performing combination.

For lubricants, etc they use one with a different inner hose material and more reinforcing:

Racing Hose

The Performance Industry’s most popular racing hose.Stainless steel outer cover for excellent abrasion resistance. Excellent pressure rating (1,000 PSI from -04 to -12. AQP elastomer smooth bore inner tube. -45 to +300 F temperature rating, full vacuum (-10,-12,-16). Approved with reusable and crimp fittings. Applications include fuel, lube, coolant, air.

#43 ·
Just looked at the Aeroquip site and that type of hose is deemed to be for air conditioning systems :eek::

Honestly, does anybody think that Triumph is so hard up that they are using refrigerant hose for a 400 degree F environment ? C'mon. Give them some credit. Innocent until proven guilty, right ?

#45 ·
Don't know what material is used in the hose, but it doesn't have the slick feel of
teflon: it looks like HDPE though it probably isn't due to a low temp. limit. There are
a number of plastics that have max temp. ranges around 500oF. NorthernThrux is right:
Triumph would have to specify something with an appropriate temp. limit. By the way, the upper and lower hoses are actually different.
The upper hose is smooth inside, the lower return hose is ridged. The material looks
the same.

#46 ·
Triumph also does nice mock ups for photo shoots but the actual deal on the show room floor doesn't look like it. Check out pics of the first 1050 ST. They were in magazines, online and when the bike hit the market the exhaust was totally different.

Solid lines, is a dumb idea. there is no way they will take the vibration from the motor. The cyclinder does look beefier and maybe there will be a 1000cc Bonneville coming....it better have 90+hp

#47 ·
The cyclinder does look beefier and maybe there will be a 1000cc Bonneville coming....it better have 90+hp
They do offer that factory bored-out kit for the Thunderbird, maybe they are thinking the same for the Bonnie?

But wouldn't that require not just a beefier head, but separating the pistons apart more? I thought the limitting factor was the wall thickness between the cylinders, but that thought isn't based on a lot of knowledge ;).

Separating the cyliners would require what, new camshafts and crankshaft and maybe other stuff? Can't find any 2013 part lists out there, but you'd think if they were re-engineering stuff that basic to the motor we'd have heard about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.