Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Will a GSXR 600 shock fit on a Street Triple?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jonkull 
#1 · (Edited)
I totaled my SV650 last month and just put a deposit down on a Street Triple. One of the things I salvaged from the SV is an Elka 3 way adjustable rear shock that fits 01-03 GSXR600s and 03-07 SV650s. I've seen a few posts about CBR and Daytona rear shocks on the Street Triple but no mention of the GSXR. Does anyone know if this would fit?

#2 · (Edited)
I don't know for sure, but if the Elka shock is close to the same total length and travel of the stock STD or "R" shock then there is a good chance it might fit. But likely not without some spacers, etc. After a quick look at Elka's site, it looks like the overall length of their shock for the SV and the Striple is the same. It does not indicate shock travel, but as they are the same overall length that's likely close. That's the good news. Now it just comes down to how different the widths of the mounting "hardware".

#3 ·
I would contact Elka or an authorized service center. If not a direct fit it may not be all that complicated to have it re-built and correctly sprung/valved for your new bike much cheaper than a complete new shock. I have had Penske units re-fitted for other bikes, see no reason why Elka can't do the same.

Although if it's this one :

The piggyback reservoir will have to be changed to a horizontal unit or remote. As is, if you look at mine you can see it would hit the swing arm.

Attachments

#6 ·
I seem to remember that the Suzuki linkage is different than Triumph & the spring rate is lower. As Orangeman says call Elka; they'll know.

If the eye-eye shock length can be adjusted to 290-295 mm then length is ok, lower mount has to be changed from that clevis to a bushing, & both bushings are 30 mm wide with a 10 mm hole.

That piggyback reservoir would be trying to occupy the same space as the exhaust, regardless of whether it would hit the swingarm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.