Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Bob Costas

9K views 97 replies 33 participants last post by  CharlieS 
#1 ·
I will no longer watch anything that Costas hosts. I exercise the 2nd amendment and don't plan on giving it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
He's more than entitled to his opinions, but not to use a microphone and a national broadcast to expel those opinions. There are plenty of talk shows and editorial opportunities to give his opinion on the matter, it shouldn't happen during the report of incident.

G
#9 ·
It is amazing how some media hosts, news reporters, sports announcers and athletes, entertainment stars become so enamored with their own sense of worth and importance that they feel the entire world is interested in their opinions.

He is not the only one to use his job position to spout right/left/cult crap on the air. As long as we, the public don't complain we will get more of the same.

Now, on the other hand there are those who believe that is exactly what is needed to save us from our selves and TV hosts are the gifted ones to educate us. Kinda like the TV preachers selling their beliefs.

#10 ·
Yeah, I don't know what's up with him. Millions of people of gun owners no one yesterday. In contrast, a lady killed her husband with a shovel and a son whot his father in the head with a compound bow and then stabbed him. Cars kill people daily.

However, freedom of speech is just that. The beauty of our country is it grants Constitutional protection for a person to be an a$$. I would have it no other way.

I just wish that more people would discern truth for themselves, not blindly agree with someone merely because he/she is on tv.

#12 ·
Oh yeah. I agree with everything the wise, all-knowing sportscaster said. Them guns is just pure evil! Most of mine are trustworthy; but I picked up a new CZ-75B that I have to lock away in a box far from the thunderplugs. If I turn my back on it for just a minute, It'll gorge itself on cartridges, jump up, and commence to killin' folks all on it's own. :YellowWink

There was a time when newscasters reported the news without exploiting a tragedy to run their mouths about their political beliefs. Nowadays, idiots like this are dime a dozen. ..........James.

#15 ·
One point to remember is that he was acting as a commentator, not a newscaster. I mean, that segment during halftime is a commentary segment where Costas gives his opinion on something. Kinda like Andy Rooney at the end of 60 Minutes. It's by design, there's no indication he's reporting news.

I understand disagreeing with him. What I don't understand is the impulse to throw someone under the bus because you disagree on one topic. I don't understand the impulse to say that because I disagree with him on the 2nd amendment I refuse to listen to anything he has to say about anything (I'm referring to the OP). But unfortunately, that's that's the way the world seems to work too often these days.

Costas is wrong that if there were no guns involved that KC Chiefs guy wouldn't have been able to kill anyone. But folks are wrong and have weird opinions about lots of things. No need to demonize a guy because of one issue.

If you want to boycott a sports writer, boycott Frank Deford. Every single thing he says is pompous tripe. It's not just a one-off, every single thing he says, without exception. Always. That's worth a boycott. :D

#16 ·
I haven't watch him for years because I think he is an arrogant self serving wannabe preacher. It drives my wife nuts when I will turn the channel whenever he is on TV. Same with Bryant Gumble.

#17 ·
I respect Bob Costas as a sports commentator but I don't always agree with his take on things regarding sports. His take on things regarding sports doesn't alter my thoughts or opinions and he has his right to his opinions. His comments regarding gun control doesn't alter my thoughts either...I excercise my rights under the 2nd Ammendent daily and that is my right and choice and I will continue to do so. We are all entitled to our rights under the law and our opinions...I live by mine and that is my right...just sayin.

Bob

#18 ·
He's got an opinion that differs with yours. He's got a segment of his show where he's (presumably) allowed to talk about whatever he wants. So he quoted another journalist's view on guns. I'd much rather opinion pieces are broadcast like this, as obvious opinion pieces, than disguised as news output like some other networks do.

#19 ·
Anyway, to those who say you exercise your 2nd Amendment Right, well, he's exercising his 1st. :)

#22 ·
Yup, you are correct Demonic..and as I stated he has every right to exercise his 1st Amendment right. I just don't have to agree with what he says, nor do you have to agree with my choosing to exercise my 2nd Ammendent rights. All very simple really...there isn't really a right or wrong...only if one wants to make it that way...just sayin.

Bob

#23 ·
Nope, you were writing your comment at the same time as I was writing mine. I agree with your comment 100%. His opinion on guns and his opinion on football are separate things.

#24 ·
His opinion on guns and his opinion on football are separate things.
Are you sure he's got an opinion on football, does he even know what it is or are you talking about that thing the 'mericans play instead of rugby?

#25 ·
All sports seem pretty pointless and uninteresting to me. Darts, rugby, baseball, tennis, basketball, cricket, my opinion is the same on all if them. Great if you play them, but boring and stupid to watch.

#31 ·
All STICK and BALL sports seem pretty pointless and uninteresting to me. Darts, rugby, baseball, tennis, basketball, cricket, my opinion is the same on all if them. Great if you play them, but boring and stupid to watch.
Fixed.

Now, motorsports on the other hand. heck, I'll watch almost anything form or motorsport competition. Except nascar.

#27 ·
<MUST...RESIST....THE TEMPTATION.......>

I'm pretty sure the 2nd was there in order to stop tyranny, not promote it as you are suggesting...

And I don't think most people with guns have them to defend a sports commentator's right to speak...

That's all I am going to say. (unless you say something else I find ridiculous...)

#44 · (Edited)
You know, I get it that you don't get it. Somehow I am able to do that without thinking less of your intellect...

the Amendments (not an Amish punk band) are there to preserve the freedom of ALL citizens. and they are all interdependent. To use your favorite amendment to reduce the power of another you dont happen to use or appreciate is self defeating, short sighted, etc. etc.

#30 · (Edited)
And you think this because? You have spent time with him growing up, having dinner, sharing your personal inner most thoughts about things like this? Your statement is totally ridiculous unless you can come up with direct quotes from Bob Costas or bring someone forward that has heard him speak of what you claim...you are totally off the wall BMK9251. If you don't have something to add to this thread other stupid statements like you did then perhaps you should refrain...just sayin.

Bob

#39 ·
Well if that had happened the Bob Costas would not have been able to go on his gun control rant and make his racist reference to gang banger kids with "loud music" coming from cars speech. If this player were white it would be on page 9.

#38 ·
No Kirkus it wouldn't change anything. Domestic violence occurs far to often it seems these days. For me the real tragedy is their 3 month old daughter was orphaned as a result of this horrific act.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.