Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

First offroad ride! Video

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  TheHaymaker 
#1 ·
After an invite from a friend of a fairly lengthy dirt ride, I figured "What the hay, I gotta get it dirty sooner or later."

Vast majority of the ride was dirt roads and an abandoned railbed with a few quad trails connecting the segments. It's doubtful I will do any thing this harsh again with her, but I had to see. For the rougher stuff, that's what my XR650R is for.

BUT, I must say, I am amazed with how well the XC handles in the dirt. The ride consisted of three DR650's and a DR400. They all asked the ride leader, upon seeing my Tiger, if "plans had changed and we were doing a road ride". I was more than happy to surprise them.

I was a lot of fun to take a 500lb bike with street tires in the woods and have it carve so well, giving a challenge to the boys, mounted on what should have been more dirt worthy steeds, a run for their money.

It's no "Portland to Dakar", the camera was aimed too low, and I stayed in front as much as possible to avoid roost, but enjoy.

#7 ·
Barely. :D I tried to stay conservative, the bike it 1k on the ride, too early to have battle scars. Nearest call was in a stretch immediately after the 'wheelers. I rounded a corner with two of the DR's on my tail and found a slick spot. The front end washed. If it woulda been another foot to the raised edge, I couldn't have saved it.

For such a heavy, softly suspended, bald tired bike, I was very happy with her sand handling. A little more speed would've been the key. When I hit that whoop section, you notice me glancing down at the bare top of my tank. THAT was the sand issue causing the weeble-wobbling. There was supposed to be a tank bag there, but it was not being held between my knees and I could get into the right attack position for soft sand, nor could I apply speed.

Other than that, even the roots were a hoot. Am I happy with her? Very. She far exceeded my expectations for a bike that I only intend to do the occasional dirt road with.

#6 ·
All new threads asking, "Is the Tiger 800XC "really" off road capable?" should be directed to your video. Awesome. Put it in the hands of a capable rider and she's very versatile. Nice work. Some great saves!

#15 ·
Enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.
Don't you just love it when other people look down on your bike, all thinking ; "we're gonna be doing an lot of picking this sucker out of the bushes", And then proving them wrong?
Happened to me a few years ago when I took my Scrambler900 to an ADV riders meet and I took it steady and picked my line carefully and got further than a lot of others on their, supposed, more suitable bikes. I love it.
Looking forward to more of your vids. Are you going to change the tyres?

#16 ·
Yeah, been there, done that. I weigh less than 150lbs and my primary offroad steed is an XR650R. I get "the look" any time I ride with new guys.

I haven't decided on the tires. I bought the bike primarily as a streeter, with the occasional dirt stint. Last thing I want to do is lay tis thing down.

BUT, after feeling it's prowess with banana skins..... The temptation is impressive!

Use that video to get into my channel. There are MANY that will keep you entertained, though on other bikes. Of particular interest will be KTMiBR and Why I Ride.

Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.