Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Triple Clamps and USD Forks

9K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  gerrieSTL 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen or tried the Free Spirits triple clamp offered on BelaCorse? http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc301.htm

The company, Free Spirits, did a Tridays bike that had USD forks. They also offer a triple clamp that accomodates USD Showa forks. Here is what they say: "Kit steering plates designed to accommodate USD Showa fork. Wheelbase as the original Speed ​​Triple, and caster as the original Triumph Bonneville. Are these fabulous CNC machined billet triple trees, to fit Triumph Bonneville t100. Can be adapted also for Thruxton, Scranbler, and SE. Available in either black or natural silver finish."

On the Free Spirits website, http://www.freespirits.it/prodotti.php?lang=2&cat_id=631&prod_id=961
, they do not have a price listed for the UST triple but I am assuming that they make them for production similar to the standard clamps.

My question is this, are there USD Showa forks that can accomodate the standard thruxton/bonneville spoked front hub? I know brand new fork tubes would be expensive but if we can get them from a current production bike that might keep the cost down. The BelaCorse price for the standard tree's is not as bad as I would have expected at $550. I know alot of people like to go to mag wheels for tubeless and weight but I like my spoked wheels.

I think even if I can't figure out the USD option I might order the standard clamps because they are very nice looking and would clean up the front end since I have a top tree with bar mounts and use clipons. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My understanding is that you would use the forks, wheel, brake(s) and axle from a donor bike, not reuse the Bonneville wheel, brake & axle. Exactly which model donor bike I cannot say at this point. I only have the 41mm Bonnie trees right now.

/M

#6 ·
Free Spirits also makes a dual disc hub for a triumph classic. If the USD fork is spaced properly could you just use spacers to make a wire wheel work with dual discs and the USD forks?
The operative phrase here is 'if the USD fork is spaced properly'. The fork spread would have to be perfect for the hub width in question to allow both right and left side rotors to line up with the calipers w/o having to fabricate caliper mounts...

Regards,

--Rich

#8 ·
It is definitely part overload but for the extra $550 for the triples you get a part that looks awesome and matches the stock triumph mounting holes which allows me to keep my D9 bracket.

Now the problem is to go with the standard triple and bitubo internals or the USD triple and donor forks. The bitubo would be the easier route and save lots of time. But I definitely think going with the Free Spirits parts would make the USD forks look almost stock which would be pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#10 ·
I am sure I read that they (the italian supplier) also manufactured a triple clamp for the thruxton.

#11 ·
seems like they'd be in the perfect position to sell a triple clam/hub combo that was engineered to fit one another, given a certain fork setup.

how rad would it be to build a new front wheel buy forks, triples, brakes, bolt it on, be done?

pricey, but easy. i'd love to have the braking but won't give up the spokes...

#12 ·
It would definitely be a little more costly (new hub, relaced wheels, triple) but would look like it was installed as a stock upgrade. Could you use the free spirits hub on the tubeless rims that avon or someone makes? That would be the best of both worlds.

Personally I think even the Free Spirits stock triple is a nice piece of kit that would improve the front end look. Having risers, i think it would clean up the front end and not look so cluttered (similar to the clip on triple) but with the cutouts to make it look more "engineered"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.