Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

My new Scooter! $100 barn find...sort of

40K views 365 replies 38 participants last post by  Tripps 
#1 · (Edited)
Score! Been looking for a scooter for a few months and just picked this up for next to nothing. No title, key or paperwork or any kind but it has spark and good plastic, that's worth the money right there. Not sure of the year but it's a Honda Elite 150 so it can only be one of four years that they made them. If I can't get it running I can easily make money on the plastic and parts. 3K miles, only problem with the plastic is a scratch on the front fender and a broken turn signal which can be repaired. This the very cool, flip up headlight model. It'll be coming in the house tomorrow so I can work on it at my leisure.

I'm not worried about the lack of paperwork unless it turns out stolen. I can register it and get a title in either VT or NH not sure which but it's easy enough from what I've read.
The used exhaust will sell on eBay for more than I paid so if I can't get it running it'll be parted out. I hope I can get it running though. Sounds like it could be as simple to fix as a cheap CDI unit from what I've read online today.

See less See more
#273 · (Edited)
She's never ridden a scoot before but had a motorcycle years ago. All my talk about the joys of scooting inspired her to ride today. Now she's shopping for a Vespa. She's gonna make an awesome scooting partner. I think the barmaid at the Blind Tiger will be joining the club soon as well. Scoot talk is infectious you know HAP.:rolleyes:
The scooter chic you're referring to is still on the loose. I haven't met her yet but expect to see her scoot into the Blind Tiger any day now.

#274 · (Edited)
Little known scooter fact:

I've noticed that motorcyclist wave at me all the time when I'm on the scoot but scooterist don't return my waves.:wave So I asked my scooter riding coworker what the deal was. He informed me it's not part of the scooter culture.:Huh I think they're afraid to take a hand off the bars, especially at speed.:ride Anyhow, if any of yous guys was wondering why scoots don't return your wave don't get all butt hurt about it, they're concentrating on not getting killed.

BTW, the number of vehicles I pass is growing daily. I think I've passed close to 30 cars in the last few weeks.:rockin I particularly enjoy passing cars on the traffic circle on the way to work. To date I have not been passed by a Sportster.:rolleyes:

#275 ·
Sticker Issues

My Aprilia Racing stickers arrived.

And so did my John Deere sticker.

Those two bikes are complete now. Time to tear into the valves and headstock on the Tiger. I was hoping buying stickers might somehow fix the issues on the Tiger but I'm afraid it didn't.:(

#276 · (Edited)
OK guys, I've finally got an event to put the scoot to the test. It'll involve a wig and dress...maybe a tutu. Surely balloon boobs. It's a Breast Cancer 150cc or below scoot/motorcycle race at our local flat track. I have my kids that weekend and I think they need to see their dad in action so I'm 98% certain I'll register. When I know for sure I'll be asking for sponsors to help put a little money in the "kittie" so to speak. BTW, I'll have to ride there which will be more of an adventure than the race itself since it's a good 45 minute drive and some has to be done on the interstate.:eek: after dark of course on the way home.:eek::eek:

My ride...be scared, be very scared....

#277 · (Edited)
Whew! Came so close to having a new Vespa in the fleet. Luckily my friend wanted it so I let her buy it instead with the understanding that she sells it to me if she tires of it. Saved me $2100 I didn't need to spend but a hell of a deal. 06 Vespa 200L with under 600 miles for said amount.
I hope she tires of it.:rolleyes:

It's a very cool scoot and way nicer than my crappy Mojito.:mad:

Good news though, the scooter club is now 200% bigger!!!!:beerchug

G
#278 ·
Whew! Came so close to having a new Vespa in the fleet. Luckily my friend wanted it so I let her buy it instead with the understanding that she sells it to me if she tires of it. Saved me $2100 I didn't need to spend but a hell of a deal. 06 Vespa 200L with under 600 miles for said amount.
I hope she tires of it.:rolleyes:

It's a very cool scoot and way nicer than my crappy Mojito.:mad:

Good news though, the scooter club is now 200% bigger!!!!:beerchug
First thing ride, the scooter looks great.
Second thing is it is very early and my mind isn't to clear but if there was only one of you in the scooter club and then a second person joined the scooter club, how did it just get 200% bigger???

#285 · (Edited)
Time for a scooter update. Scoot was out of commission for a month waiting for a new bendix to arrive but fear not, I'm back on the road.:D
Headed to Ithaca last night to ride with the scooter group up there. It's about 50 miles away and I took back roads there averaging in the 50+mph range. 10 of us showed up. The leader rides a 2 stroke Vespa 150 that he used to ride the Scooter Cannonball Run year. That thing sounded awesome.

Ice cream stop...

The Ithaca Scooter Shop owner rode an old Lambretta. There were several Vespas, 1 Aprilia, 1 Yamaha and a few Chinese scoots.

A few more...

and the obligatory scooter chic shot, she was riding the red Vespa:hearts

Sorry about the crappy iPhone pics

#292 ·
Time for a scooter update.... The leader rides a 2 stroke Vespa 150 that he used to ride the Scooter Cannonball Run year. That thing sounded awesome.

How did the performance of that 2 stroke Vespa compare to the other scooters?

#287 · (Edited)
Too long of a ride for her but I did invite her to join me. 1 hour each way and another hour of riding there.
The owner of the bar we frequent came right out and asked us if we were dating this past Sunday when we scooted in. We're just friends. We've discussed dating but my desire to live in a van down by the river doesn't really interest her all that much.:dunno
She had a close call with a truck pulling out in front of her Monday and hasn't ridden since. I might get a good deal on a very cool Vespa come winter.

#296 ·
First time I met Bernadette we sailed and I scared the crap out of her when the wind picked up. I'd sort of dated her friend which is why she came sailing that first time. I've lost touch with her friend but B and I have stayed close for about 6 years and are sort of neighbors, definitely very good friends, and drinking partners. That alone is a good enough reason to include her in Triumphrat discussions and photos.
As a side note my friend with his new Tiger showed up tonight at Blind Tiger. Tiger - Tiger at Blind Tiger at least deserves a pic right?

Jess, get your ass down here so we can do a pic with 2 white tigers and an orange one. You aren't that far away.

#301 · (Edited)
What a blast tonight. The dude on the custom chopper started out on a moped and was all over Bernadettes scooter tonight. Ok, maybe he had other interests.:rolleyes:

But we most likely have a cruiser chic's husband buying his wife a pink Vespa for her birthday in the next week or so. OK, so I told her about the one for sale in Syracuse. The scooter club must continue to grow.

Tiger/Vespa/Tiger at the Blind Tiger...

That is all ... just because I know none of you want to see the scoot thread die:D

G
#302 ·
Because of your barn find and this scooter thread you started, I have found my 2 wheel bike replacement for the day I can no longer hold up the two wheeler.

Now, I admit I saved the 675 engine to replace the tiny 500 scoot engine.:D Keep em coming ride.

#305 ·
Another Vespa added to the club this week. Although I'm currently on the road I just received this pic from the "scooter club". I showed the ad for this beautiful pink Vespa to this girl a few weeks ago and her husband bought it for her birthday.

and yes...it really is that pink, or so I'm told.

#309 · (Edited)
Scooter envy, you know you have it...right?:ride

The girl with the newest scoot is the pink one and her husband is a local cop. We now have total control to scoot as we wish and he'll be buying a Vespa soon so he doesn't have to ride his ugly Harley when his wife rides. Things are changing round here...

#313 · (Edited)
Just came across this description of a scooterist and thought I'd add it to this thread...

I could go on and on about scooters, because they totally kick ass, but I won't. I'll just point out a few things. First, they actually save money. Lots of folks justify owning a motorcycle by saying it will save money. It's a lie, of course. Between tires, gas, oil changes, speeding tickets, time off work for court appearances, etc., it becomes hard to save money on a motorcycle unless you actually sell your car. But a scooter will save you money. Buy a used scooter for a grand, put on a couple thousand miles a year, and in 2-3 years the scooter is paid for with gas savings.

The other thing for motorcyclists to consider is that the scooter doesn't replace your motorcycle. It replaces your car. All those short trips you used to take in the car you now do on the scooter. It saves gas. It saves wear-and-tear on the car, and it's hilarious fun.

And I mean hilarious fun. The true beauty of the scooter is that they're unintimidating to other motorists, which means you can get away with riding like a complete a$$hole. Split lanes. Ride on the grass. Park on the sidewalk. Nobody cares. You're on a scooter.

I'll end with this. I hear people say that they look like a dork on a scooter. Not to put too fine a point on it, but for God's sake, look at yourself. You're middle-aged. You have a beer gut. Your hair is falling out. You ARE a dork. Embrace it.

...and here's another one worth quoting...

I wave at everybody when I'm on my scooter. I've actually seen people start to wave, then pull their hand back when they see I'm on a scooter. Hilarious. When I'm at a light next to a motorcycle I flip up my face shield and yell, "HELLO, FELLOW TWO-WHEELED ENTHUSIAST!" Some of the looks I get! People are crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.