Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Street Triple R vs Street Triple...it's all about the size

63K views 48 replies 28 participants last post by  Wilk INStheWEST 
#1 ·
Of the rider:
I sold my 2010 STR this summer and have recently picked up another Street Triple non-R version. Having spent a decent amount of seat time on both bikes, I would like to share my insight for anyone trying to decide on which bike to get.
First, a little about myself: I have a racing background in bicycle motocross and then on to MX/SX. During my tenure in the sport I was taught and convinced that the suspension was the single most important asset on a motorcycle...see where I'm going with this?
Back to the subject, I was curious if I would be disappointed in this new-to-me 2008 Street Triple without the "better", adjustable suspension that my R version had.
Bottom line: the standard version suspension is spot on for the lighter rider, even with a decent amount of experience. I'm right at 150lbs without gear. No need for a boring review, just letting y'all know that the standard Striple works as well as the STR for the lighter rider in any condition. It really was a pleasant surprise.

#3 · (Edited)
My Striple started out as the "standard" version. Over the course of 4 years, I've yo-yo'ed between 175-220 pounds. To be honest, the brakes and suspension did fine for any kind of sane public road speeds. I ride in some pretty twisty, hilly areas and have seen speeds over 125 mph on some knarly roads. The bike now has a Penske double and D675 front end. I'm not any faster on the same roads at the same speed. I attribute any increase in rider skill to seat time, not suspension mods. Rider skill is far more important to appreciate the difference in bikes - there's a lot of hype out there and folks constantly try to justify their expenditures.

Now if you are over 250 pounds, then yes, the different suspensions will make a big difference, especially in ride quality. I'm not saying don't buy the R - it's a personal choice. I just hate all the non-r dogging that goes on in these threads. When the RR comes out, it'll start all over again, lol.

#4 · (Edited)
I looked at both and went with the standard street triple, I was after the engine anyway, so the R has upgraded brakes and suspention I didn't need it, the bike comes ready for proformance and not worth the extra cost for R, the 2012 model came with the free flyscreen, pan..., you need to upgrade the exhaust and levers....., on both also,
It's about your skill level" right.

#5 ·
Dude , the TRUE difference is just small with the exception of the brakes. And you get to sport an "R" on your paneling .
If you're one of these modder whores and don't need crazy suspension tweaks get the standard .

I have and R and love it but I've ridden standards and they're great also. Just more goodies on the R .

#17 ·
I got the R, I should have saved my cash. Never touched the suspension.
Um, what are you waiting for? Get it set up for your weight and it will be much, much better. I just did and the rear was way too soft and the front was too hard. Not to mention that left and right fork legs were set different.

Rides much better now, and it was pretty damn good before! Everyone should at the very least get the sag set on whatever bike you have!

#7 ·
Got the R. Liked the brakes.

Set the suspension on day 2 of ownership - small tweak to the rear preload and 1 click back on compression damping front and rear. Not touched it since, but the whole point is to get it right for the rider. If you're tweaking it all the time you're not getting it right.

I'd love the new bike though. Slightly sharper steering makes it even more agile in traffic and the tweaks that improve the fuel consumption - 10% is significant on a motorway run - resolve the thing I most dislike about the bike - its thirst. I also have a suspicion that the newer headlights, thopugh ugly, give a better beam shape than the round ones?

Anybody agree?

Rob

#8 · (Edited)
Got the R. Liked the brakes.

If you're tweaking it all the time you're not getting it right.

Anybody agree?

Rob
Yes and no on that statement. If it's cold in the morning when you start a ride, you could adjust compression and rebound (open up) to improve fork/shock action and and set it back as the day get warmer.
On the new bike, yes, I'd love the improved handling even though the current bike is awesome. One of the biggest surprises when I first read about it was the significantly improved fuel economy.

#9 ·
I might tweak between Summer and Winter, but the bike's an everyday workhorse so I'm not going to tweak between riding to work and going home, and on business trips which are mostly highway the difference isn't worth the effort of tweaking it.

Anyway, after day on a Bonny courtesy bike while mine was in for a 12K service (£540 with new front pads - ouch) on a day when I nearly lost it on the way in to dealers because of ice and got piss wet through for the rest of the day, almost anything would have seemed an improvement on the Bonny. Actually I'm being unfasir - in that kind of weather most bikes feel like ****, but the Street still felt good taking it back home.

Rob

#12 ·
I'm with OP on the "spend money on suspension" thing. I am light and short and I ended up binning the shock in my ST-R and replacing with Ohlins TTX36. the forks have been worked over with new oil, and shim stacks but the springs left "As is". It is still too jittery in the front: too much low speed compression damping. High speed is OK and so is damping. My TTX shock is slighly shorter than stock (8mm) which drops the seatheight slightly. I am running the forks 10mm showing thru the clamps vs the stock 4mm.

It goes pretty well but I am waiting till summer for another go on the forks.

The stock seatheight on an R vs a standard ithe standard is lower.

#13 ·
Mines the 2009 standard Streety in Jet Black and she's perfect for me. I am 5'10 175 and the brakes/suspension are just fine.

Remember, the original standard version of the Streety won many awards and Bikes 5 star rating. The R version is an great option though and worth it if you need it for track or extra weight issues :)

#14 ·
I have a standard 2010 Triple. I am 170lbs and I find the non-adjustable suspension on both ends suck. I came from a 2003 CBR600rr with full adjustable (I did a front end mod, putting a 2005 front end on it with radial brakes) and loved the radial brakes and stiffer adjustable forks. I just don't feel confident with the front end of the Triple. I feel that it is to softly sprung. This lead me to spend a couple of duckets in buying the front and rear suspension from a Daytona R / Street R. Don't get me wrong, I love my bike. Probably the most fun I've ever had on a bike, but the standared Triples suspension is crap.

#15 ·
The problem with ANY sport-bike is that the rear suspension is a compromise because it is designed for the weight of two riders; the reason why when riding solo, the progressive shock linkage delivers a nasty jolt to the spine over the big bumps and is too soft in the initial travel resulting in power-robbing 'squat' when accelerating through the gears. If you want real suspension designed for YOU then remove the passenger pegs and be prepared to max out the credit card.

-For the rear suspension get an Ohlin's TR805 designed for the Street Triple, and a linear linkage kit from KyleUsa (race developed for the Daytona) which also fits the 2013 models. He will tell you the spring rate required for your weight. This set up delivers WAY better handling and ride on the street as well as the track; I'm amazed at how well mine works on my 2010 STR.
-Send the standard front fork tubes to RaceTech usa for their special gold valving, oil, and springs. Of course tell them your weight and where you ride.

Basically the one-size-fits-all suspension on ALL sport-bikes is not going to suit everyone and it is worth it to spend the big bucks if you are keeping the bike more than a few years IMO. - Wayne :)

#18 ·
I think the brakes alone are worth that price! 4-piston radials over 2-piston brakes? Not even a question. Better suspension is a bonus.

#21 ·
That is why I bought a lightly used '12 street triple. Got a phenomenal deal b/c everyone* thinks they need the R, and probably b/c the '13 is marginally better(?). I could upgrade the suspension/brakes + more and still be below the cost of a used R. After putting a few hundred miles on it, I don't think I'm going to change a thing! All the street triples are great bikes

#22 ·
I may have considered a leftover or even the standard if the price was right.To each his own,for me it came down to looks and what was available.
My "r" and I spend many early weekend mornings at Starbucks,which happens to be off of one of my favorite roads.
And if anyone can get the suspension and brake upgrades done themselves for under $600, well you should go into the bike building biz

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#24 · (Edited)
....And if anyone can get the suspension and brake upgrades done themselves for under $600, well you should go into the bike building biz
I put the D675 front-end on my '09 Striple:

'10 D675 forks - $298
'07 D675 brakes - $85
R front main brake line - $65
R mirror clamp thingy - $15
'06 D675 master cylinder w/brake lever - $100

It can be done. Forks were in mint condition - came off a new bike that was being prepped for AMA. I watched ebay over a year, checked it every day. You gotta have a plan and strike when the right opportunity arises. :) I later changed out the caliper bolts and pad pins for some Pro-Bolt bling, and have played with a couple different pads.

#23 ·
I bought the std and saved a few bucks. I later upgraded the rear suspension to '11 CBR600RR and have had front suspension redone for my weight. Difference is tremendous and the enjoyment of doing the work myself more than worth it. Isn't tinkering part of why we buy bikes? I know it is for me!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#35 ·
The Striple R shock was about 1/4" longer than the standard shock, that should have been the only difference other than perhaps a miniscule amount due to a different tire profile or air pressure. Then there's also a difference in SAG due to that shock. It's possible the R shock was set at max preload I guess, lol.

#36 · (Edited)
My first bike died.... and my co-worker was selling his 09 non-r street triple so i picked it up. After 4k miles i put in a daytona rear mono shock that he had and gave me with the bike. That entire 4k miles the bike was fun but i just didnt see the hype.... been riding with the daytona shock for a week and i now understand the hype. Totally different feel. Much more comfortable and responsive. The standard shock in my opinion now is that its junk.

Only downfall now is my feet barely tippy toe to touch the ground (sucks backing out) but totally worth it. I am 5'6" 190 lbs range. I was almost flatted footed on standard shock (same bike) so in response to others there is a big difference in seat height between the rear shocks.

Not sure what the R forks bring to the table. Probably wont make much difference to average rider. But now that i been enlightened to what suspension can do im in the hunt for some daytona or str forks.

#40 ·
My first bike died.... and my co-worker was selling his 09 non-r street triple so i picked it up. After 4k miles i put in a daytona rear mono shock that he had and gave me with the bike. That entire 4k miles the bike was fun but i just didnt see the hype.... been riding with the daytona shock for a week and i now understand the hype. Totally different feel. Much more comfortable and responsive. The standard shock in my opinion now is that its junk.
Some of the early 09 non "R" s were recalled due to faulty rear suspension. I m guessing yours was one of these. I had an 09 non R and changed for the Daytona rear spring/shock and found the spring way to hard for my weight (much the same as yours), it was an improvement over the stock sloppy unit though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.