Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

most mileage in a day!?

8K views 76 replies 44 participants last post by  masterblaster1 
#1 ·
Hey Frider,

I remember a conversation we had a while back about how much mileage you had covered in a day and I am very proud to say that the most I have ever covered in a day has just been increased to 786 which is crazy close to the 800 you once told me you had covered. Just thought I'd share :D

hope you are well,
Vic

#2 ·
Brilliant endurance both you and bike.

That's a testament to your seat comfort. Did you happen to notice your fuel economy on the way ?
What sort of riding was that, touring easy our sports speed.

#18 ·
my mpg and riding style

That's a testament to your seat comfort. Did you happen to notice your fuel economy on the way ?
What sort of riding was that, touring easy our sports speed.
well.. I'd say it was very relaxed because I rode with various people along the way .... which slowed me down considerably.. but I was averaging around 48 mpg.

#3 · (Edited)
That is knocking some miles down. I did 648 followed by 520 the next day all on my cbr954 which was equipped with risers, a corbin seat, and a throttlemeister and I couldn't straighten up and walk for 3 days. I would have rather run back to back marathons carrying my bike on my back while being kicked in the gut by the time I was done. The 520 miles the 2nd day was by far the worse. Great job doing 786 and not complaining!

#5 · (Edited)
Well done......though it was 977 ( in the States) and over 1150 in the UK.....though the 1150 WAS over a crazy 24 hour (almost) non stop courier period that I would NEVER, ever repeat again.......and never did......

the 977 was mostly very boring Freeway/Interstate.......

the 1150+ was exactly the opposite, and comprised of about 30 individual 'drops'......deliveries, to various individuals/company's.........

Just had to add....that day ( in the UK) was also BY far my biggest earning payday for deliveries......the last Job alone ( comprising about 7 drops) got me a 'cash in hand don't tell the tax man.......oops 180 pounds sterling.........in 1994......not bad money back then.....plus I'd already earned about 85 pounds earlier in the day!!!!!.................some beers were drunk, after I'd recovered!!!!!!

PS and I even screwed up ( almost!!) 2 of the 7 drops, through sheer bloody tiredness!!!!

#31 · (Edited)
Happy Birthday C!
Sorry I am later to the LD Party...:rolleyes:

1052 in 14 hrs...??? wow!!!

Much better then I have ever done. My hat's off to you my friend :D

Got plans to ride SE next week. It will be Calgary AB to Denver CO in 24 Hrs or less. A few fuel stops at Sweetgrass ;) and Montana City MT on route to Jackson WY. Ride through Cowboy Village and Arlington Outpost WY, as well as Fort Collins CO.

It's only 1200 miles in about 20 hrs or so... :dunno
Also have plans to ride an In-State Saddle Sore (Colorado 1000) the next day... :eek: check out the route below...

These rides will be part of my 2012 IBA Inter-National Meet effort to ride my butt out this year. :p
see links:
http://www.ironbutt.com/national/default.cfm
http://www.ironbutt.com/national/denver24.cfm

This event is worth taking in if you are in the neighbourhood.

All the best!

K

Attachments

#9 ·
You think you are joking, but I have serious long distance rider friends who wear some sort of condom with a hose which then runs down their pant leg. The contraption lets them pee while riding. They also carry auxiliary fuel tanks and can do at least triple the normal tank distance before needing to stop for gas.I wish Koby were around to comment because he really got serious about it.

Although my ride was certified by the Iron Butt Association and witnessed by the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum personnel, it was my first and last long distance ride. :eek:

#12 ·
WOW!! Now I feel like a total noob!! Lol!! I thought I was doin' somethin' with my measly 332 miles in one day a few weeks ago. However, I still manage to ride approximately 2500 a month on average. That's gotta count for something, right? I'm hoping I'll be able to endure more miles when I get a more comfortable bike. The America has got to be more comfortable than my Shadow Spirit 750....right? Anyone??

#14 ·
I once did Los Angeles to Lubbock, TX in under 21 hours. That was about 1100 miles. Next day I did Lubbock to Monroe, LA which was like 630+ miles. That took almost as long because I was stuck doing the speed limit due to TX having a state wide crack down and writing tickets for 1 mph over. I got nabbed leaving Lubbock for 85 in a 65, but my Valentine 1 saved my ass from going to jail. I had been doing 115+ and managed to slow down that much before the cop got a radar lock. It wasn't on my Sprint. It was on a 97 Honda VFR750 with the stock seat. I spent the night in Monroe at a friends house, then we loaded my bike in his truck and took turns driving to NJ for his brother's wedding. That was like 1300+ miles.

#19 ·
My maximum in one day was 584 miles/939 km - Vorselaar in Belgium to Kolind in Denmark. Took about 12 hours. This was on a Honda ST1300 and although I was pretty uncomfortable by the end (leg cramps, sore wrists), I got off the bike and found I could not only walk but drink beers too, and the next day I was fine. I was expecting to be crippled.

I'm not too keen on these long distances either. Like DaveM, I like to stop every hour or so, stretch the legs, fill the bike, empty the bladder, whatever. I started off doing 90-minute sessions, but by the end I was stopping the bike every half hour just for a break. That slowed the last 100 miles down a lot. In the end I felt I had covered an enormous mileage and seen very little. Not my kinda touring. That's ultimately what led me to sell the white rhino and get the Bonnie. And that led to the Sprint, and ... here we are again :)

My new rule is 300 miles a day maximum, and 200 with a passenger. Travel less, see more. My joke on the Denmark trip was that from my whole experience of Germany (it was my first visit), 100% of Germans speak perfect English, and 100% work for McDonalds. Based on a sample of three. A joke, but it hides a kind of disappointment. That's not travel, it's just moving from A to B.

#20 ·
My longest day was on the solstice this year. The idea was to see sunrise at Bad Water, CA (lowest paved road) and sunset on Mt. Evans, CO (highest paved road). Ended up being a 1100 mile day from Shoshone to Ft. Collins CO.

Not sure I would do it again, had to blow by a lot of really good roads on the interstate.

Attachments

#21 ·
My longest day was on the solstice this year. The idea was to see sunrise at Bad Water, CA (lowest paved road) and sunset on Mt. Evans, CO (highest paved road). Ended up being a 1100 mile day from Shoshone to Ft. Collins CO.

Not sure I would do it again, had to blow by a lot of really good roads on the interstate.
Now that is a unique achievement! Definitely one to be proud of. :welldone

#22 ·
I did Leeds England to Vienna Austria in a day... though I did get 4 hours to wait at Dover for the boat... still works out at 1127 miles give or take a few managed that in 23 hours or so... 4 hours for the ferry and then the other time off bike for Petrol and stretching the legs... The bike did not let me down once and I was getting around 320km a tank mostly Autobahn around 150kmh...

#23 ·
Having only had the GT for little over a week now, I cannot comment on how long a ride I can accomplish on it. I have done several saddle sore rides on my Honda ST1100. During a competition rally last year (Cape Fear 1000) I did 1308 miles in 28 hours with a 3 hour rest break. These rallys involve stops to photograph bonus locations along the way (kinda like 24hr mini Iron Butt competitions). It helps that the Honda was fitted with helibars and a custom seat... comfort wasn't an issue.
I am hopeful the stock GT seat is good enough for 800+ days. The stock Honda seat never was.

#25 ·
Hey 3banger,

That is a great excuse for a 1,000+ miles day.

I used to do a thousand miler for my birthday every year, which is June 20th, so I would always have plenty of light. I've never understood why you need a certificate for stringing together a couple of 1,000 milers. I used to do that on a regular basis. There is lots of area to cover out west.

On the GT, 4th of July I did the 650 from (near) Cascade, Montana to Seattle, longest day so far. I was home by dinnertime and could have easily put up another 250. The Steath Blue GT (it only looks slower, which is a good thing under most circumstances) will get more exercise soon, I just need to quit working so much.

Gus

#27 ·
A typical (busy) weeks couriering in the UK would see me average about 1500-2500 miles per week......kept this up for (most) of my 15 years as a Bike courier..........Summers might drop down to <1000.....Winters, unfortunately often 2500+ per week :(

#29 ·
1780 km Paris to Stockholm

Did Paris to Stockholm 1870 km(1150 miles) last summer in 20hrs. Ferry from Puttgarten to Stockholm.

It was raining trough Sweden allot. Had to stop at the gasstation 5 in the morning to get plastic bags and newspaper to put in my boots.

I was tired afterwards ;)

#30 ·
I've done a few 820 mile days, as I recall it was about 15 hours, from New Oxford, PA to O'Fallon, MO. I came straight back from Austin, TX one day. Around about the same time and distance. I also did a one day back from an event in Eagle Nest, NM. I made it a 1000+ mile day due to poor routing skills at the time. That was more like 20-22 hours. It's been a few years since I've felt the need to cover such distances in one shot, anymore.

#37 ·
Thanks Blackrhino! The U.S Iron Butt Association handles most of the long distance events out your way so you'll probably find info on their website. I know a lot of the long distance rides involve using superslabs in the US but in NZ, ours are all on twisty 2 lane back roads and they never get cancelled due to challenging weather :D.

As long as you prepare properly, there's a good chance of success. I'm thinking of making it a bit more of a challenge next time by attempting it on a Honda C90 Cub or a Honda CT 110 fitted with long range fuel tanks. Reckon I might just be able to scrape in the 24 hour cutoff time!

#38 ·
:eek:You guys are posting some SERIOUS numbers. I am somewhat cautious (understatement):eek:, with a longest of only 420 miles. I hope to beat that later this week, though, with a trip to & all around Colorado to follow a bicycle stage race.

I am looking at 450 & 550 mile days to get across TX & NM on the front end and then again coming home, but limiting myself to ~200mi/day in the beautiful country on the 7 days between. If I were in the car, I would go for the no-stops-but-gasoline method (last time I drove the 1200mi back from Aspen with 5 bicycles, my teammates that flew only beat me home by a few hours), but I plan to take 30 minute breaks every 100mi or so this time just to stretch, hydrate, and ensure that I stay alert.

I have been (overly) planning this trip for a year now, and can't wait to head out! Later!

#39 ·
When you ( were) a UK Bike courier, crazy mileages, 'offs' and police chases ( I sh&t you not) are part and parcel(!!) of the job, I seriously doubt we'd of gotten away with the stuff we did viz a viz US police.....I could write a book........as could probably ANY self respecting 5 years+ courier.....

If it makes you feel better, and it makes me feel WORSE I rarely break 2000 miles a year these days........once upon a time, that would of been about 4 days work!!!!! :(

this year < 1000...... :(
:( :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.