Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Speedmaster - cornering clearance

13K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  TheRedRat 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a new rider researching and trying bikes before I buy my first one. For middleweight cruisers the Speedmaster compares favorably for me on so many levels. It's almost perfect, actually. One thing I'm concerned about is the cornering clearance seeing as it's a cruiser. During a test ride I didn't want to scrape it and didn't get a feel for how hard I can push it in corners. For you experienced Speedmaster / America riders, how does the cornering clearance fare for you? Do the pegs or does the exhaust scrape first? Would you like more clearance?

I have read that among cruisers the Speedmaster and America are near the top of class in terms of lean angle which is one reason I'm pursuing the model. I recognize if I really want to lean then I should pursue other types of bikes, and I have a list accordingly, it's just that the Speedmaster has everything else I'm looking for.

Would it be heresy to raise the suspension? Can it be done? Would this ruin the center of gravity / dynamics?

Thanks for any answers you can give me.

#3 ·
I own an america ,as said already the lean indicators hit before anything else. They corner very well but as a new rider I would be more concerned with going slow and upright for quite a whyle before wanting to kneedrag.

#4 ·
I am a new rider who purchased a Triumph America. I say, go for it. Quite a few new riders have purchased Speedmasters and Americas as their first ride. You don't need a starter bike if you have the right mind set and take it slow and know your limitations. Take the MSF courses, and ask a lot of questions.

Enjoy

#5 ·
Interestingly I test rode a Speedy last week. It was used with 1875 miles and of all things a center stand. I absolutely love the bike. Peppy with plenty of power but not a huge excess of power. I found the steering very responsive for a cruiser. As the test ride was coming to an end I had to make a left turn after being stopped at a traffic light. Dang I scrapped something. I don't know if it was a peg, I don't think so as I heard it but the left foot didn't sense it, or the center stand, but either way I wasn't even trying.

#6 ·
Buy the Speedmaster and take the MSF courses. If you work at riding it well, in a few years you will be able to discern whether you would like something different. You can always add an old beater to ride hard and fall down on, finding the edges of traction and your ability. There is a lot more to riding well than dragging the pegs IMHO.

#7 ·
Thank you all for your responses! You all sound very positive about your Speedmasters/Americas.

I've taken the MSF and loved it. My instructor told me roughly the same things you have: as long as I'm smooth with throttle and clutch control and cognizant of my limits, then I should get the motorcycle I intend to grow into. It's nice to know there are others who have chosen Speedmaster/America as their first bike without problems.

I am also kind of a safety geek and have a white snell-approved helmet and a white jacket lined up, and have a parking lot available for drills etc.

I don't intend to be scraping any pegs or dragging my knees for a long time. I just don't want to feel limited when the time comes to expand my skillset.

vzshadow: Any idea what you scraped? Sounds ominous!

I don't suppose anyone's felt the need to raise the suspension?

I'm a hair away from making the decision. I'm also looking at a couple of standards like the new Moto Guzzi V7 Stone. But something about standard position makes me feel like I'm going to fly over the handlebars (as opposed to the recessed cruiser feeling). Plus, where I live, a standard bike seems kind of vulnerable on the big roads.

I may also be able to get a deal on an America. Is it easy to black out the America and change the handlebars to the straight version? I kind of like the larger front forks/wheel on that bike.

#8 ·
You wont feel the need to raise the bike at all but many get better proggressive rear shocks and upgrad the front fork springs to something better. For the first year or so on it you will be totally pleased with the sm or ba. I have kept mine stock in the suspension and im happy with mine and Im a big guy.

#9 ·
I'm pretty sure it was the center stand. The salesman told me he had never seen a center stand on a Speedy. It wasn't bad, I was just surprised. I left my Honda Shadow and the cruiser world because I scraping the pegs all the time. I ride a Bonnie now, but am considering an America or Speedy.

#37 ·
I'm pretty sure it was the center stand. The salesman told me he had never seen a center stand on a Speedy. QUOTE]

I have a aftermarket centre stand on my 09 SM. A road I travel alot has a hi speed sweeping bend which has a bump/dip/ruff spot and laying it into the cornor (left side) at around 120kph I hear/feel a large scrape.
the only marks I can find is on the centre stand.

#10 ·
it's a very balanced bike, as far as power goes. it's no slouch, but it's also not some behemoth. a great choice to grow into. and as stated, they handle amazingly well for cruisers.

that moto guzzi is waaaay cool and i understand handles beautifully also, but it's only got 50 hp. omg, this is so depressing. that bike is so effing gorgeous, but my suzuki weighs less and has 20 more hp. i would want one so bad if it made just a little more power. anyway, i'd say you'd probably grow out of that before you would the trumpet.

#11 ·
i grew out of my SM in one "riding season"...WOT just doesn't do it for me...no real adrenaline going on there...

however, it's a pretty cool bike for cruising with the GF and taking it easy when I want...the price makes it pretty attractive too :)

im keeping it...but won't be the only horse in the stable :)

#13 ·
I slammed me rear suspension with Burly shocks ( for newer sportster)

They are 1 1/2" shorter center to center for mounting bolts

I rarely drag me floorboards but it happens when I get too aggressive in the twisty's

I would like to get some of them titanium ? Dohickies so I.can throw some serious SPARKS ! ;)

#16 ·
Sweet!

It seems cornering is no-one's issue on the Speedmaster / America. Even you nimble Tiger riders seem more dissatisfied with the Speedmaster's speed than its handling. If I'm not mistaken, then, I may 'outgrow' the performance before the lean angle, although I'm trying to process how that's possible.

Spunebil: did you lower your bike? And put in floorboards? If so then I shouldn't have any problems, haha.

Steve0, I haven't ridden the Stone but sitting on it, the thing exudes quality. It's a bike I just want to possess. Maybe my wife can buy it . . . . .

All's go for the Speedmaster. I'll post pics when I finally get it.

#17 ·
to be totally honest,my ba feels far more planted on goatpath style backroad twistys then my tiger. Its on the bigger better roads in the mountains that the Tiger outshines my ba. Its an apples and oranges thing really,the 100 plus hp in the Tiger vs the 50 plus in the ba,performance wise there is no contest. The one thing I can guarantee you is this,you WILL NOT be disapointed or wish for more with a ba or sm,mine still makes me smile ear to ear whether Im just looking at it ,putting along or ripping up the goatpaths.

#18 ·
I've had similar experiences to vzshadow's as far as it comes to scraping in a left-hand curve on my 2010 speedmaster. My bike doesn't have a center stand, mind you, and I was actually leaning into the turn pretty hard. It took me a while to figure out what it was as I never felt the vibration through the foot peg and found no evidence of scraping on the feelers. Turns out it was the tab that extends off the sidestand to assist in lowering it. So, evidently, on the 2010s, that will drag first in a left-hand turn.

#19 ·
duncan, by 'goatpath style' do you mean narrow, dirty, gravely roads?
The reason I ask is my daily commute will take in about 2.5 miles of unpaved road. I just don't like the look of dualsports . . . a black KLR650 is about the classiest and cruisiest I can find, and I can't quite bring myself to pursue it. I was planning on just taking it easy and using the road for practise. Should be ok on an SM I hope.

Boondog, that's good to know! I rode a 2012 without a scrape. Definitely something to be aware of in future test rides.

#20 ·
No Im being a bit figurative in explaining the condition of our back rural roads. Not dirt or gravel but twisty,poorly thought out tar and chip piss poor excuses for tarmac. Tell you the truth I wouldnt take my ba near a dirt or full blow gravel road.

#22 ·
I think the main point here is the Speemaster/America is a "cruiser". They're not built for regular aggressive cornering. If that's what you want, buy a bike with higher pegs such as a Bonnie or a sport bike or a streetfighter like the Speed Triple.

Although I have a Bonnie, I've ridden the America a couple of times, and scraped pegs. But once you work out the bikes limitations, you ride within its range. I was always scraping the pegs on my Bonnie for the first 12 months. Now I rarely do.

Cheers.

#23 ·
i don't understand the aversion to peg-scraping. clearly, the bike's range includes the point where peg:tarmac contact is made and even beyond. they're built to accommodate so why would you avoid it? sure, it's a little unnerving at first, but once you're used to it, it feels pretty boss.

seriously, modern bikes and rubber will easily out handle all but the very best riders.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if the dirt road section of my commute's going to cause me grief on a Speedmaster. I'd be going less than 15 mph. The road is hard packed rutted dirt with light gravel. 7 corners over a 2.5 mile stretch. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

edit: The rest of the commute is about 18 miles on paved roads. Seems kind of an annoyance to look for a dualsport because of the dirt. I might have to go back to the drawing board.

#25 ·
Just go slow n the dirt,if its part of a commute then so be it. I have had my ba on roads like that and the suspension rattled my old teeth looser! Have you considered a tiger1050? Despite what some say it certainly is no dual sport and is 10 times the performer in all categorys over a sm or ba and you can go wherever the hell you want quite easily!

#28 ·
Brilliant. That is a cool bike. That might fix all my issues and look awesome at the same time! Hehe. The Tiger is great too, but this Scrambler is a bit more my style.

Seems not many people have Scramblers. There are none on Craigslist where I am. I'd hate to buy it new and scar it for life. Ah well . . . it's coming up to winter in the Northern Hemisphere so I guess I can save up and bide my time.

Thanks for the great ideas.

#31 ·
I've ridden my speedmaster on a few dirt roads and no real issues. On loose clean gravel it was a little tricky but its really only a matter of getting used to the feel. I also have mine lowered about an inch and a half (Dyna shocks) and no issue with scraping the pipes. With the way I ride I tend to scrape my heals on the asphalt before anything else - usually in round-abouts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.