Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Bought 09 S3, heads been off, can anyone tell me how theirs runs?

2K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  FoothillRyder 
#1 ·
Ok so here is the deal, got a helluva deal on an 09 speed triple. Gave $4400 for it and its got custom pearl black paint, belly pan, seat cowel, Arrow full exhaust and only 1100 miles on it. Now I've read the specs and it says 131hp and 77 ft. Lbs torque, here is where my question comes in, I've riddin new gsxr1000s, a Daytona 600, Daytona 675, sv1000, zx9, vtr 1000, r6, r1, z1000, gsxr600, zx636, fz1 and buell so I've got a pretty broad spectrum of power to go off of. That being said my 09 speed triple is completely useless in first gear, I cannot give it more than 1/4 throttle before it is either vertical or white smoking the tire in 1st and I can do clutch up wheelies EASILY at 70 mph on the hwy and 3rd gear will go until 130, supposedly this bike tops out at 161 so how is it I can still have 3 gears left at 130? It shoots a 2 foot jet of blue flame out the exhaust any time you exceed 3000 rpms and let off and there are clear signs that the head has been off. Curious how everyone else's bikes run in 1st and 2nd and what your opinions are. Also it still has stock sized sprockets

Sent from my HTC One X using Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
You misunderstand, I am not complaining lol I love it, just want some other opinions as to wether or not its been modified internally, and u can see where there was gasket sealer squeeze out and it was wiped away

#8 ·
See I thought that since it is blowin flame that it needed to be tuned. And my main question still remains unanswered, how do calls bikes run in first and second, does my description match how everyone else's bikes run stock?

#12 ·
So your bike doesn't clutch up at 70mph and get vertical with 1/4 throttle? This is my main question I'm needing answered cuz if not then something else is most definitely done to it and that's what I'm wanting to find out

#13 ·
1. get a cable and connect it to TuneEcu. Compare the map to TOD, stock maps or whatever you want. It will tell you alot about the fueling & ignition which would give you some idea of how it's been tuned. From there you can assume away.

2. there shouldn't be any goo around the head. Sure you're not looking at the cam cover?

3. check inside your throttle tube to see if it's had the quick throttle mod done.

4. could've had a 'Tona transplant but TuneEcu will tell you that.

#15 · (Edited)
The S3 is very different from the other bikes you mentioned but what you describe does sound like a non-standard tune has been loaded into it because the blue flame thing is unusual and it sounds even more flighty than normal. I doubt that the head has been off based on your description as they generally have that appearance.

#22 · (Edited)
Hey D6,
I'd say the head is fine, the 09 engine I got has the same black ooze here and there as well. As per the flames, they are normal-ish depending on the tune and set up of the bike......LOL! If you block the SAI it will settle the flames down and quiet the popping, along with the correct tune of course. My 07 use to pop and shoot flames all day long.
Some people just like that..... heh heh!

The tona transplant is taking the cams out of an older Tona and fitting them in your engine for more power. Under your seat is a diagnostics cable that you can hook up and read your bikes ecu and such. You can order a cable from ebay and download the software for free from www.tuneecu.com
then you will be able to find out what tune your bike has and if it correct for your set up.

#25 ·
There are no simple off the shelf performance mods for the S3 internals. If your bike has had the head off, and you paid $4400, there is a far better chance it has had major warranty repairs vs major performance modifications.

I think your impressions of the bike's performance are based more on your lack of experience with the 1050's characteristics than it being exceptional.

regardless, welcome to the cult.

#26 ·
I don't like to get my hopes up but the main thing that made me question it is that I have a friend with a Kawasaki z1000 and every bit of research I've done says he should outrun me but no matter what speed we run from I leave him every time

#29 ·
That was what I was wondering about. I am about 250 and my bike will lift the front pretty easily but I am thinking more like 50% throttle before I get scared. It won't power up in second. Sounds like your bike is running quite well. :D

Oh and here is the cable I use for TuneECU.

#28 ·
Well there is a considerable difference in the mid-range torque between a Speedie and most everything else in the same displacement class, so if your buddy wasn't running that Kawi in the top 25% of his rev range he's at a considerable disadvantage.

I think I'd have been worried more about the 'origins' of the bike at that price with those miles.

FWIW, my '03 955i will only keep the front wheel on the ground in 1st if I lean as far forward as I can - even then it's an inch or two up until I'm out of 2nd gear (at about 90).

Celebrate the performance lad, and welcome to the zoo.

:cool:

oh, and btw, don't be afraid of TuneECU. Buy a cable (around twenty bucks; but READ the TuneECU thread before you buy!), download the app, and bond with your Speedie. :)

#30 ·
To me it just sounds like he is used to riding bikes with a weak bottom and mid-range, so has grown accustomed to dumping the throttle open with lack luster result. Its no different than a single in the dirt, learn some throttle control, or you'll be on your ear wondering what happened..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.