Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Front brake pump/vibrations/chatter

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ZrexRich 
#1 ·
I have owned my street triple R since new and currently have circa 850 miles on the clock. However, since new i have had a front brake pump/vibration/chatter issue. Typically the pump comes in as i am about to come to a stand still, along with a front brake squeel. The vibrations are so bad it will knock a filling out. In fact it is as if the ABS is kicking in, exactly it has no ABS. I have it booked into my local dealer who think sit may have something to do with the front disc/rotar. There is apparently a known issue of some defaults on the front disc. To say that i have zero confidence in braking is an under statement. Was wandering if anybody else has had a similar issue or may have an idea of what it may be.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
My 2010 R has 22000 kms on it and the Nissin radial front brakes are always superb; smooth and firm. The pads still have a long way to go. Something is defective assuming the brakes have been properly bled (improper bleeding usually results in a spongy feeling but not vibrations). The brakes/rotors need to be checked for proper assembly and defects. Check that wheel bearings are tight. You should have gone back to the dealer immediately at the first sign of brake trouble but warranty should cover it. Make sure they install new pads if new rotors are installed. The front brakes are fantastic when working properly and broken in. - Wayne

#7 ·
I have just recently changed all the brake pads on my Street triple - regrading the use of grease :

First of all I used an aerosol of disc brake cleaner to clean all parts of the Brake Caliper when removed from the bike and discarded the old pads .
I smeared the outer walls of the brake pistons with Red Grease & pushed them back into their caliper then , I smeared the back of the Brake pads with Copper slip Grease as well as the Pad retaining Pins .
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.