Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

New member looking for opinions on Thruxton Fender Elimination.

12K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  Enzo's Dad 
#1 ·
Greetings to all the members. I am new to the Thruxton, but not new to cafe racers. I have restored two 70's era CB550's and turned them into cafe's. I have pictures on my profile but have no clue how to post them to a thread. I realized one day that instead of making my bike look like a Thruxton, I would just buy one.

I bought the bike two weeks ago and had Dominator Tourings installed by the dealer, at the same time they re-mapped and installed the British Customs Air Injection removal. ( i wonder if these parts will argue about who is better BC or TPUSA, I have done alot of reading here.)

Here is my delima. I have no doubt the Thruxton looks better without a rear fender, However does anyone regret removing it. I removed the rear fender on my Hondas, but always wished I had a bobbed fender back there. I ride my Bikes to work as much as possible. Without a rear fender when I rode in wet weather I was killing the back of my jackets.
I also had issues with turnsignals, most of the fender elimination kits are sold with cheap EMGO plastic turn signals. In my expereience its only a matter of time before before they stop working.

So Is it worth it?, or if you have done it would you do it again.

See less See more
#43 ·
I installed the maund fek on my Thruxton earlier this week. Very high quality kit. James was great to work with. He also must have mailed it about 2.5 seconds after I placed my order. US postal service had it in my hands 36 hours later (California to Texas, I was pleasantly surprised).

#45 ·
Well, with a little creativity and time you could make your own for a 1/4 of the price of one of the manufactured one's. I did that to my thruxton when I had it. I bought a peice of sheet metal from home depot and an LED integrated tail, turn and brake from a place called Custom Dynamics. It wasn't a very difficult thing to do and i have zero experience working with sheet metal. Just a thought.

Just to also add nobody would have the same one and your bike would be totally unique.

#46 ·
You highly overestimate some of our levels of fabricating talent! :D
I got the Maund unit, too, and am very impressed with the quality, not to mention James' incredible customer service. Very happy with the purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.