Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Triumph factory alarm system?

39K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Kososmiffy 
#1 ·
Has any one installed the factory alarm system? How hard is the installation? And what does it do?

#3 ·
Lots horror stories on the factory alarms. Unless your in a particularly high theft area, just slap a disk lock on it. There are disk locks with built in alarms.

The factory alarms are great in theory, but there are quite a few stories about them "bricking" the entire bike. Lots of better options.

#4 ·
When I bought my T100, I asked the dealer (San Bernardino, CA) about theft. He said that in all the years that he had owned his Triumph dealership, he had heard about only one theft of a Triumph. According to him, the thieves are interested more in HD's.

#7 · (Edited)
It can be bypassed by re-fitting the dummy plug that comes with the bike, mind you the alarm makers insist on this plug being returned to them to effect insurance cover or something.

I quote from the fitting instructions:

• The alarm connector is an unused black
coloured terminal block. The shorting plug is
the cover for this terminal block which is fitted
with a double hoop of black cable.
The shorting plug must be returned to
DATATOOL
with the registration
documentation.

It's a bit silly considering that any would-be thief or owner could get a replacement dummy plug from their dealer, it's part number T2500396 and costs about $6.

Alternatively a new one can be knocked-up at home using components from the likes of RS. The contacts to be linked up with a piece of wire are 1-2 & 3-5 :

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...2267573743D3336322D393139332677633D4E4F4E4526

#8 ·
Had mine fitted for about three years and never had a problem. Never had to top the battery up or been hassled in any way. Bike still has it's original (5 yo) battery although it's probably gonna need changing this winter.

Auto-arming is a problem when one is close to official buildings due to the frequency jammers Spanish government institutions all seem to have. Not found a way to disable this feature.

I also heard about possible problems and always have the original loopback plug in my jacket pocket just in case - touch wood never needed it!

#18 ·
On my old Street Triple I had an "A-Flasher" unit, the primary purpose of which was simply to make the built-in alarm light flash to make it look like it was active. Is there an equivalent unit for the twins?

https://ecliptech.com.au/parts/aflasher/

#14 ·
Check out DEcosse's Keyless ignition system on this site. It's a great system that is basically plug & play. It plugs into factory alarm socket...although it is not actually an alarm system but just an ignition defeat. You carry a remote but never need to actually click it...bike detects it within a few feet ...disarming the lock out and switches ignition to ON (just like turning the key) when you pull the clutch. Starting is via the normal switch. Shutdown is via the kill switch.

Works beautifully.

#16 · (Edited)
Yes I think so...but check with DEcosse for sure. I've had the setup for a couple of months now but only once had a situation where that might have been handy...at a mechanic and I kept stepping up to the bike to check a few things...bike would flash lights as I came in range. We were not looking at any electrical items so we ignored it.. Note that nothing else is happening other than the system going to ready state...the pre-ignition checks, fuel pump activation etc does not happen until the clutch is pulled in.

Here is the most recent thread on the system...

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/344937-keyless-ignition-part-trois-et-demi.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.