Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Calipers and master options

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  WisTrophy 
#1 ·
I've been trying to figure out what are the "good" options for upgrades and quite frankly my head is starting to swing.

I just want to go with something reasonably priced used, available rebuild kit, and willing to upgrade the master if it's needed on my 98' Trophy 1200.

I know the 1st gen busa calipers fit, but I've heard they are hard to bleed and more bling than bite.....I just want some decent feel and braking power. New pads, and flush/bleed may get me to a decent place but seeing how many people talk about upgrades it may be just as prudent to get this out of the way this winter.

Thanks for the tips and advice guys.

#2 ·
When I collected my Trophy 1200 I was less than impressed with the brakes. On the way home the fork seal on the lhs failed. As I was travelling abroad three days later fixing the fork seal was a priority. When i removed the calipers I found both were seized...needless to say I stripped andcserviced them and fitted new pads....the difference was night and day. I have some six pot tokicos kicking around the garage and have no desire to fit them at all. Rob

#3 ·
I'm completely game for rebuilding what I have, especially being any used parts may need the same work. I've read that the master is the same as the ZRX1200r and I can just order the K&L rebuild kit for it, any one know where to source a kit for the calipers?

#4 ·
Doing some reading elsewhere, people overall don't seem that impressed with busa calipers. 6 pot sounds cool and all, but a pair of tokico 4 pots seems like a better route. Apparently the tl1000s ones(as well as others) will bolt right up. I'm not certain they aren't the exact same thing I've got but for $60 it'll make a quick swap. Plus, I'm sure tl1000s rebuilds are easier to come by.

#7 ·
+1 The Tokico 6 pots with EBC HH pads will provide more stopping power than you'd expect. Usually Busa folk pull them almost new to upgrade, so we can get them with no/low miles and in nice condition.

They bleed just like any other caliper, whether you're using a mity vac, speed bleeds or a hose and jar.

Really can't recommend them highly enough, I had upgraded all three of my T300's at one point or another.

#9 ·
Entirely possible, I spent about 35 minutes bleeding mine yesterday and although they still leave a lot to be desired it was a little bit of an improvement. They still require entirely too much effort and I'm not happy at all, but I also wonder if my pistons are partially seized. For the cost of a rebuild kit I can buy used calipers off a busa or the like is the issue at hand.

#10 ·
Got the 6 pot Busa calipers on mine. Bolted right up, bled easily with a hose and mayo jar full of brake fluid. Noticeable improvement over the stockers.

2nd best improvement was the front forks: new, slightly heavier oil and Progressive springs. And seals while we had them apart. The forks were way too soft from the factory. Since they are non-adjustable, you have to rebuild them to your liking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.