Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

2005 Bonnie Speedometer reads 10% high

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  DriftlessRider 
#1 ·
I got a 2005 Bonnie two years ago and the speedo has read about 10% high since I got it.

Is there a simple way to adjust the speedo?

Casey

#2 ·
Since there are no "easy adjustments, the two ways to easily deal with it is to either get a front tire that has a larger overall diameter (they're not all the same, even if they have the same size designation) such as a Metzler ME880 (great tire btw). Or you can source a Thruxton speedometer drive from a MC salvage yard such as Pinwall. They are set up for an 18" wheel and that will correct things by turning less rpms per mile...

I run ME880 fronts, stock size and they give me just about dead on readings when I go past those "you speed is" radar stations...

#6 ·
Not having a Bonnie myself, is the speedo mechanical or electronic? If it's electronic, a speedo healer should do the trick.

#7 ·
Mechanical up to 2009 or thereabouts.

#9 · (Edited)
You can't even really trust the nav systems either. My Garmin reads up to 4 mph off sometimes. It also varies depending on if you're on flat land or in the hills. Long story short, are you sure the readings are off?

I thought that my '06 was off 4-5 mph, but after doing my own calculations, I realized with my stock tire, at 60 mph it was only 1-2 mph wrong.

#10 ·
I knew it was not correct just based on what traffic around me was doing. I'd be doing 15 over in a 45 zone and still getting passed :)

So I used a simple speedo app for Android on a long straight stretch and held a steady speed.

The speed given by GPS is pretty accurate if held steady for say ten seconds. It has to smooth your velocity a bit as it calculates it. It could be off by couple percent, but not ten.

I'm used to the speed being off, but I hate that the odometer has the same error. And all my mpg calculations have a fudge factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.