Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Anybody racing a speed triple?

160K views 747 replies 60 participants last post by  com5984 
#1 ·
We have a racing series here in oz called BEARS Brirish European & American bikes. I have found a 07 S3 that is a statutory write off and I'm thinking about making a race bike out of it and competing in the above series, if economically feasible.
I was wondering if anyone else was doing something similar and if so any tips and advice would be appreciated

#457 ·
Thanks Flash it's the turbo version....lol
About the only thing for me to laugh about today I finally got out on the track but didn't even complete one lap running wide on the last corner (lots of run off so no big deal) the bike felt terrible, it was missing and coughing and my quick adjustment of the pegs and levers was all wrong.
The pegs and levers were a quick fix but I did have to put the old right hand one on as the daytona pipe was cut and shut around the gillies.
The misfire is very strange as the last time when I was playing with the translogic it was running perfectly, I've got some new plugs to try and also maybe the fuel may be contaminated so thinking if it doesn't clear after a couple of laps in the morning I'll start there.
I also discovered my bitubo is not working has a leak, hope it's still under warranty not that helps me this week.
More news tomorrow.

#463 · (Edited)
Turned out to be the plugs, replaced them and was good too go. I got some practice in on the thursday doing 4 sessions trying to learn the circuit which is really fast.
The first couple were around the 1.28's but managed to get down to a 26 flat late in the day.
In practice on the friday I managed a 1.24 which was half a second under the F3 lap record so was pretty excited for a good result.
The first race today I only managed a third having as very untidy race running off once and making lots of errors but did manage to set a new lap record of 1.21.4 trying to catch up to the guys in front, so I know the bike has the potential I just need to get my act together.
I'll put up some videos and reports for the other races tomorrow.
Ps my glory was short lived the record was lowered to 1.21.016 in the next race by one of the other guys, guess there is always tomorrow

#464 · (Edited)
What a fantastic 5 days of racing, I ended up finishing third overall. I really need to work on my consistency as the top 3 were all lapping within 3/10's of each other, trouble is I would make a mistake and lose ground.
I had some camera trouble but I've managed to get some footage that I will post up as soon as I find a free wifi spot. Here is a link to a ride buy at full noise on the main straight being chased by an 848 evo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLSLS1Nv02E

#479 ·
I'm just in the process of buying a 2012 Speedy and stumbled across this thread, it's been a good read. I used to race an '89 model Ducati 851 in Bears back in the 90's, good to see it's still going.

It's amusing to see the similiarities, brought back a lot of memories. I was nearly talking to my ipad when you were looking for spare wheels for wets..."get some lightweight wheels and use the standard ones for wets!" Lol

In my experience the one biggest improvement I made to my bike was an Ohlins rear shock. I was only in D grade, done about 4 race meetings, running middle of the pack but getting better. I remember getting excited when I broke under a minute at Amaroo Park. I went on to get my best time on that same weekend of 58.1. A few months later I went to my next race meeting there, with the Ohlins fitted. First qualifying session out, a 55.9.

I get an announcement over the PA to come to the control tower, thought I'd been done for noise. I get told I am now a C grader and in fact got pole for C grade and qualified 6th fastest in A,B & C grade Formula 1.

Funny thing was, I didnt really feel I was pushing any harder. In short, my point is it's sometimes easy to think more horsepower will help, when in actual fact just getting what you've got to the ground will do wonders,

Just my 2 cents and the best of British for the rest of your season

#482 ·
Finally back in Sydney, so today I went and picked my bike up in preparation for this weekends round at Phillip Island.
I managed to get a seal kit for my leaking Bitubo damper and should have that sorted tomorrow.
We'll be all packed and on the road early thursday morning.

#491 · (Edited)
What a fantastic track Phillip Island is, I'm glad I did the practice day on the friday though. Racing here would be like playing tennis at Wimbledon or golf at St Andrews, qualifying and 2 races on saturday, weather is perfect after overnight rain but qualifying was damp so everyone was tentative quali time was a 2.06 which after the practice time of 1.58 was fine.
Race 1 reasonable start but dropped off the main pack in the first few laps but managed to get it together and chase down the 996 in front of me, best time 1.55.
Race 2 managed to stay closer to the pack but some of the guys in front mistook black flag for chequered and slowed down I just saw the last lap board and went around them, best time 1.54.
Sunday again weather perfect but a little windy, only had a 10 min warm up so far 2 races to come.
Sunday report and video's to follow.
Some photo's of tyre wear bad cold tearing and also 2 fat blokes from team triumph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.