Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Custom Guage Bracket

8K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  WindTherapy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I have an opening today at work to have a custom guage bracket cut on our plasma table. This would also contain a ignition relocate option if so desired.

I have a quick drawing PDF'd so i can get dims from my bike. Problem is that i didn't ride today so i have to go home to get the dimensions.

I need to have the drawings done and to the plasma technician by EOD today or i'll miss my oppertunity.

Would any one be able to go to there bike and fill in the dimensions and scan it or take a pic for me? I might be able to get a few extras cut for dirt cheap for people who might be interested.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance...Oh and this is going on a 2012 thurxton. i'm sure it'd fit the bonnies too though right?

Attachments

#5 ·
Here's the updated Bracket dimensions and the DXF i used.
Keep in mind that the holes are under sized by .0625" to account for the plasma curf of .125". That sould make the holes and exterior the exact size after cutting.
If you make one your self, keep in mind this is still a prototype and it will require refinment. I haven't tested it out yet and am not sure exactly howmuch clean up and dialing in will be required.

Make sure you clean the thing up with either ammonia or vinegar to get it ready for wet sand and paint. the other thing is that i didn't remember to measure my ignition so the hole is for 1" right now. There may be a gap, or there may need to be more material taken off. you can use what i've provided so far, or you can wait for me to have profected them and buy a finished one, or use the updated DXF when i post that.

For now, here are two pics and the files.

Fresh off the cutter

Cleaned up a little.

I'll drill the holes for the mounting bolts tomorrow on lunch.
Over the weekend i'll clean up the guage holes and ignition hole. I'll also smooth out the inside radii and get it ready for sanding and paint. I'll probably to a number of coats and then a clear coat. I could also price having it powder coated...

and here's the bike it'll be going on. Bianca

Note: This bracket will require the headlight to be lowered. it'll put the guages into the light if you don't

Hope you all enjoy.

Attachments

#8 ·
#9 ·
Just did the first test fit. There's some changes that i need to make to the last drawing. It's not quite right. The ignition hole is too small, the guage holes need about another 1/16" taken out, and the Key way for the speedometer goes on the top, not the bottom. i'll cut round two tomorrow and should be in good shape. the exterior was all good though. i'll keep ya'll posted though.

#10 ·
BTW, how's the gauge bracket coming along? Let me know if you're interested in 'practicing' with another :D

-Steve
i'm waiting for an opening in the table to cut round 2. Fab shop got busy again. Sorry for the delay. If i end up cutting any serious quantity i can set the table to go and walk away. 20 min later i'll have a serious ammount. For now i'm cutting 1 or 2 at a time.

The current one is a flat bracket designed off of a 2012 thruxton + a location for ignition relocation. The next will be flat off of an older model with 4 holes for lights. after that it'll be 2012 with no ignition, just mounting and guages.

If any one is interested, please PM me and we'll talk.

#12 ·
gotcha. i'm going to use this on for the nitty gritty of the design process and questions. I'll post the major build updates on the build thread. So, do you want one? i'm starting to feel out building them for people. I've got 2 others who are interested. the more poeple are interested the more likely i am to make a bunch. I can also do custom design elements for specific changes you may want.

Micah.

#13 ·
Yes, I'm definitely interested! I wish I had access to a shop and the know-how to do it myself.

I think I'm partial to your original design, flat from the top yoke/triple-clamp with the hole to move the ignition for a 2012 Thruxton.

My only concern is the having the ignition at the top of the bike in a horizontal position. It might have been something I read in another thread here, but the issue of waterproof/watertight worthiness of the OE ignition assembly being so exposed makes me wonder if it's an issue waiting to happen.

I'll take another look at it as well as the bike and be sure to follow this thread for updates.

#14 ·
I've not heard one way or the other. Ether way for me, I don't ride in the rain. Lol. Go ahead and make fun if you want I just don't lol. Maybe there's something I can work out to protect it. You could just do a standard relocate and forgo the gauge bracket location

#15 ·
Update. Got the final bracket cut and cleaned and fitted to make sure it all goes together.

Here's the results, minus powder coating.

All functioning

Underside. So you can see how it's mounted

Basically, i had to get long 5mm Hex Screws, (which i'll replace with allen head screws later) with a nut to hold those in place. then i set jam nuts at the proper height and sandwiched the ignition between the jam nuts and a flat washer and lock nut.

Here's so you can see the screw heads and how the ignition fits.

And here's the side profile. Please excuse the rags again. i haven't fit the new lower ears to the bike yet.

When i got the bracket from the plasma cutter it was pretty raw. i used my dremel to clean up the inside of the guage holes to make sure the rubber gromets fit right. I used a Step drill bit and my corded drill to get the mounting holes and ingnition mount holes cleaned up and the correct size.

After that i used my orbital sander to clean up the rough edges left by the drill bit.

Do you have any questions? Feel free to grill me. Advice, oppinions are welcome. I'm hoping people pick up on this. I'd love to help people out and get some customs cut.

#18 ·
oh ya. I'm in. Here's the price breakdown i'm planning.

$40 for the Raw bracket
$50 for a painted Braket
$75 for powder coated.

I do all the CAD work and i can do my best to get them dead on, but there will be some work to be done to the raw bracket if that's what you'd want. I can change my design to meat your desire as well. i'll be doing one for my brother in a few weeks. It'll be different than mine.

#20 ·
Absolutely. His will probably have 4 holes for the "idiot lights" on an '08. It may also not have the ignition relocated. i believe he still wants it flat.

The other option for him may be smaller gauge holes. he's toying with the idea of smaller gauges and ditching the idiot lights altogether.

Do you have ideas on what you would want?

#21 ·
Got it, I have a 2012 so I don't need the holes for the idiot lights.

I like the design in your pic, the only thing I might prefer is to have the top of the bracket follow the curve of the dials, like the OE bracket. Would it be difficult to do that? I could see how that tight radius between the cups might be a bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#26 ·
Got the one for my bike back from powder coat today. Turned out sick. Here's pics.

I'm going to be running a set of 50 in a week. 10 of 5 different styles

1. 2009-2012 with Ignition relocation and flat top
2. 2009-2012 with ignition relocation and contoured top
3. 2009-2012 without ignition relocation and contoured top
4. 2008 and earlier with ignition relocation (bottom right of tach)
5. 2008 and earlier without ignition relocation.

Im willing to fit some custom one's in there too. i just need to know before i cut the lot.

Price for brackets are as follows

$40 for raw un-finised bracket
$50 for Cleaned test fit and painted bracket in your choice of color
$80 for a powder coated and test fit bracket

Lemme know if you want one.

#28 ·
I haven't got any 08 styles made yet. I can bend them. I just need to match the bend angle. I'll use my bros 08 as a template. I'll set u some PDFs of what I'll be doing tomorrow.

#29 ·
To be fair - D9 has been making and offering a lay flat bracket in a number of different layouts. PM him as well if you would like. Also, keep it in PM's please. There is a market place on the site you can have these discussions.

I am not trying to take away from what Wind is trying to do but sponsors pay money to sell their stuff on this site and no real transactions are meant for the general forum. We try to keep it loose but when there is larger interest then it should go in the classifieds.

Here is my bracket from D9. I am not trying to say get one from one person or the next. I am showing this because it follows the lines of the guages.

#30 ·
Ad they make a great product. It's just too pricy for me. That's what brought this on. So far people have pm'd me and all other correspondence has been in private email. I've even given the plans out free. If people can do it on their own ore power to 'em. I especially don't want to tick off sponsors and I'm a regular supporter of a umber of them. I've put nearly 2k into my thruxton since day one. Most of which has been to TRat sponsors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.