Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

EFI Bonneville - Poor fuel economy (running rich?)

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cerberith 
#1 ·
Hey,

I've recently bought a 2009 EFI bonneville. The bike has a TEC 2 into 1 exhaust fitted and the Arrow 2 into 1 map installed (I've verified this with TuneECU). Everything else is standard.

I'm only getting around 35 UK MPG (~30 US MPG) which I'm tracking on fuelly. I do most of my riding in central London so I'm not expecting amazing economy, but I'd expect a bit more than that.

The exhaust is slightly smoky at times and there is a little soot building up on the end can. I've not pulled the plugs yet as they're a bit awkward to get to.

What else should I be looking for?

Cheers!

#2 · (Edited)
Mileage? service history? When was the last time the air filter was looked at?.

That mileage is not too bad if you're always riding within London. On the open road you can expect something in the mid 50's MPG (UK). The end of the exhaust often has sooty deposits so it's nothing to worry about.

#3 ·
It's on about 7300 miles. Last serviced by the Triumph dealer in March 2012 (2 year scheduled service). From the receipt, it looks like they just changed the oil (and oil filter).
I've had the bike around 2 months and haven't really done anything to it apart from fitting an alarm a couple of weeks age. I've not looked at the air filter. Think it could be clogged up?

#4 ·
Sounds as if everything is OK, the air filter doesn't need replacing until 12,000 miles.

The official fuel consumption figures according to the Factory site are:

Urban: 51.2mpg (5.5 l/100km)
56mph: 68.0mpg (4.2l/100km)
75mph: 55.6mpg (5.1l/100km)

They're obviously lying...:)

#5 ·
Wow! There's really that much difference between the quoted and actual MPG?
I've only done one long journey on the bike which was riding it 200 miles home on the motorway after buying it. I was cruising at 60-70 mph and got about 100 miles from a full tank to the fuel light coming on. At a guess this would still be around 40 UK MPG.

#7 ·
Hey datagramm - have you pulled the snorkel? Air-box baffle?

When I first got my 2009 Thruxton, with Arrow 2-2 (and Arrow map), I got similar mileage to you and the exhausts were sooty, just like you are observing. However, even though it had a K&N filter, the snorkel was still in place !?!

Pulling the snorkel gave an instant improvement in mileage (a good 15%) and a noticeable performance boost. My next step was to pull the baffle and I installed a proper tune from TTP - massive difference! I now run with a TTP tune, TTP Breathe intake cover, DNA filter, no snorkel or air-box baffle (actually, I gutted the air box), Arrow 2-2 without baffles and the bike averages 60 UK MPG and pulls like a frigging train. I probably would not get that mileage riding around London, but I would expect a lot better than 35 UK MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.