Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

The Perfect Storm

12K views 194 replies 47 participants last post by  mglemans86 
#1 ·
Okay, lot's of hype with this hurricane heading to the Mid-Atlantic business. And a nor-easter and a wacko jet stream. I hope it doesn't get to bad, and it's always a good idea to be prepared, but folks in my area get nuts in advance of the next big one.

So my 12 and 15 year olds were curious. Against my lovely wife's wishes, I said, let's watch the movie!

Big mistake. They thought George Clooney was actually going to drive that dilapidated old boat through the storm to a happy ending. At the end, both of them were crying their eyes out....and I got the evil eye from Mrs Juni. I'm probably sleeping on the couch tonight.

#12 ·
Well Lefty, I wanted to watch Prometheus. It On Demand now. But there was a lot of objection from Mrs Juni. Hey, I didn't want them to be scared of ever getting on a boat!

Last big storm we were watching Serenity. Right at the climax when those ugly alien undead dudes were just about to eat everybody there was a huge thunder clap and lightning, the power went out and the kids were climbing all over me screaming and crying. No kidding. It was hilarious. I'm always scaring the $hit out of them. There will be permanent damage for sure.

It's just starting to get a bit breezy here now. I hope this thing blows my leaves into the neighbors yard. I absolutely hate raking leaves. Big waste of time.

#3 ·
We're still scratching our heads over the projected path that looks to take the storm west of Philly, and potentially up to Toronto. How's that for landfall? Crazy stuff.

Even if it isn't the end of civilization as some of the newscasters seem to be making it out to be, 4-5" of rain in a day is nothing to shrug off lightly.

Glad you're set, Lefty. Is the kitty litter for you or your cat? ;)

Junipero - you should've watched The Day After Tomorrow -- now there's a bad-weather movie for you!

#6 ·
So my 12 and 15 year olds were curious. Against my lovely wife's wishes, I said, let's watch the movie!

Big mistake. They thought George Clooney was actually going to drive that dilapidated old boat through the storm to a happy ending. .
You could've watched Alien vs. Predator on AMC.
Junipero - you should've watched The Day After Tomorrow -- now there's a bad-weather movie for you!
I'm watching John Carpenters "The Thing". It has a kicking blizzard of a storm, aliens, and a happy ending (well sort of). Bring it on. I have plenty of Sambuca.

#17 ·
Yesterday was gorgeous, 70F, mostly sunny, breezy. I'm hoping for some very nice days after the storm, if the mess isn't too bad. I'm glad that I don't live on the Eastern Shore (of Maryland), too close to sea level, especially on the Bay side. They're going to get slammed.

I have city water and natural gas, ready for it.

#20 ·
A storm like this isn't to be taken lightly. We put in plenty of food, water, whiskey, generator fuel, and ammo. :)

What's really creepy is that this storm is coming in on the one year anniversary of last year's freak noreaster blizzard. That was the the single worst weather event I've ever encountered, with power out for days.

Be safe one and all.

#27 ·
The NJ Gov just had a long press conference....seems the whole state is closed until further notice.....I'm sure he has plenty of food stored up....

#29 ·
LMAO...but the small area with such a high population my home state is very vunerable to power outages...flooding and such. If evacuations are not started early bumper to bumper (which is on a normal day) would truly shut down all the roads. So being proactive is a good thing. Leaves turning still on the trees and a wet snow will bring trees down coupled with winds....it could be a bad thing.

This is one time I do not think it is an over reaction. That said why the heck do people wait until a storm is coming to buy generators.........:confused:

It looks like MD, Del, NJ and NYC are going to get hit pretty hard or just be lucky and get a pass....lets hope for the pass.

#30 ·
Yeah, much of the Eastern Shore of Maryland will very likely be underwater, and plenty of low-lying areas of the western shore as well, such as downtown Annapolis.

#32 ·
Yes, the hurricane that hit Ohio:rolleyes:

The high wind warning was just issued for my area. 60mph winds combined with saturated ground equals trees and utility poles going down and probable power outages. It says also to expect damage to roofs and siding.

Not much to do at this point except fill up buckets with water and the bathtub, too to make sure I have plenty for the horses and to flush the toilet. Plenty of the bottled stuff for the birds and me.

#34 ·
These storms can be serious. Last fall my 100 year old Aunt was forcibly evacuated 10 minutes before 10 of water came rushing through her house.

I have three daughters who live in Manhatten. I suggested that they leave, but they have gathered in one apartment with lots of water, beer, wine, and flashlights. Oh yea, one modestly tough boyfriend. I guess they will be ok.

#36 ·
You realize of course that somewhere deep in his mind he is probably hoping to get really REALLY lucky with three sisters. I remember being that age too. Now I'm at an age where I bought 4 extra cans of dog food for my two pitbulls and I'm leaving it at that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.