Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

92 miles per tank, really?

9K views 70 replies 42 participants last post by  eric nyc 
#1 ·
I am kind of disappointed, or should I say, worried?

This is the third time I fill my brand new Bonnie SE, and low fuel indicator turned on at 92 miles; previously, the bike gave me 81 miles and I put 3.1 gallons. This time it took 2.8 gallons to fill.

How that can be? Is this normal? I just don't get it.

Is the low fuel indicator defective? Am I getting normal mpg for mixed driving or the bike needs some adjusting? I honestly was expecting about 100 miles per tank, before the low fuel indicator goes on.

Can't wait for the 1st oil and filter change and see what happens ...

:rolleyes:

#3 ·
"normal" ...

My commute is 20 miles, 40 round trip. 11 miles city traffic, stop and go mostly. Last 9 miles is highway.

Third gear mostly during 1st leg of the trip, 3k to 4k rpm. 5th gear in highway, 65mph.

I am not lugging the engine but not pushing hard, I am still in break-in period.

#4 ·
My T-100 usually tells me it needs gas at 115 to 120 miles but I know I can still go quite a way yet. THe last couple of tanks more like 110 or 105 when the fuel indicator light comes on. Winter gas? The tank I'm on says 130 and still no indicator light. Riding on this tank was mostly all country roads at 55+ mph with little stopping or starting.

#6 ·
The worst I got on my Scrambler was about 36 mpg, and that was after 2 hours of continuous 90-100 mph speeds on I-95. I think stop and go city traffic really kills mileage (I've gotten into the 20s on other bikes before). That, combined with the fact that it's brand new, may be what's causing it.

I have to say, I was hoping for better mpgs. The most I ever got was 48, and that was taking it easy, cruising at around 65 mph on the interstate. I don't see why an 865cc engine shouldn't get over 50 mpg quite easily. More often, I get around 44 mpg. My old 1990 Kawasaki Concours got 43 mpg at 75 mph pretty easily.

#7 · (Edited)
Hmmm...

I had my Street Triple for 600 miles only ... :-( ... and I remember it improved from 90 to over 100 miles per tank. But that was a more powerful engine. My expectations are realistic but better than what it was with my Street Triple.

I hope the 1st oil and filter change will also help the Bonnie, but even for stop and go traffic, 92 miles per tank it is kind of low, in my opinion.

#8 · (Edited)
I think most guys are averaging 120 till they hit reserve. Third gear is defiantly killing your MPG. Not sure how it is where you live, but here in the northeast, they start loading the fuel with winterizing crap and most people begin to notice a decrease in fuel mileage on all their vehicles.

#12 ·
?

I am not saying I dislike the bike, but trying to understand the physics and mechanics of it.

I should say, I tested ride the Street Triple, did not the Bonnie, so most things caught me by surprise.

But I do like the bike, really comfortable and sexy lines.

#11 · (Edited)
My Bonnie SE is only a month and a half old, so this may be interesting as a comparison. This is my info from my fuel log since I picked her up. I ride easy but spirited. I usually fuel up shortly after the light comes on. I have EMGO mufflers/Arrows 2-2 remap and disabled air injectors. Sorry, I can't get the formatting to save so it's all squished.

Miles Interval Gallons MPG

99 99 3.00 xxx
208 109 2.87 37.98
315 107 2.79 38.35
428 113 2.85 39.69
543 115 3.00 38.37
671 128 3.04 42.05
787 116 2.95 39.28
909 122 3.08 39.60
1033 124 3.10 40.06
1150 117 3.04 38.55
1265 115 2.92 39.42
1387 122 3.03 40.21
1507 120 2.97 40.46

#13 ·
Mine got the same gas mileage when it was new and slowly loosened up after 700-800 miles.

I usually get around 95-100 in the city and 125-130 highway. The town driving kills your mileage and pulling the guts out of her to hear the Norman Hyde pipes scream doesn't help either.

It'll loosen up over time. Besides, I couldn't go over 120 miles on the stock seat anyway, thing kills!

#14 ·
It always surprises me when I read these MPG threads. My 2012 Thruxton must be a magic motorcycle.

I ride mine daily to work 50mi roundtrip. Half stop and go stoplights - half highway. 45 mpg with boring monotony.

Just turned 6500 miles on it...90% of that commuting to work. First 1000mi or so rode it stone stock = 45mpg. Removed AI, installed Predators and the Arrow 2-2 map, rode it that way another 1000mi...dropped to around 40mpg. Removed O2 sensor, opened up airbox, installed TTP map...45-46mpg...everytime.

#15 ·
your engine still is not broken in. your gas mileage will increase as the engine breaks in.

i commute everyday about 30 miles round trip and gas light comes on about 110 miles. my entirely commute is city streets at about 35-45 mph in 3rd or 4th gear.

when i am out bombing on the highway i can get about 150 miles per tank.

just give it some time your milage will increase. my bike had 2 miles on it when i got it, now it has about 9k and the gas milage is still getting better.

when i filled up today i had about 120 miles on the trip clock and took 2.7 gallons to "fill" up.

#16 ·
I get around 42 mpg combined city and highway. I don't ride too fast or too slow. My low fuel light comes on any time between 95 to 120 miles. Don't worry about the light until it stays on steady. It will come on and then go off. Just get to know your bike and about how far you can go until you are dead empty. I know I can go at least until 150 miles, and maybe more. Never run out so I don't know for sure. I compare my light to my trip meter, and fill up accordingly. Usually around 130 to 140 miles.

#18 ·
This is the third time I fill my brand new Bonnie SE, and low fuel indicator turned on at 92 miles; previously, the bike gave me 81 miles and I put 3.1 gallons. This time it took 2.8 gallons to fill.
The light coming on with about 3 gallons burned is about right, so you're OK there.

This last time you got 92 miles out of 2.8 gallons, which is 33 mpg. The bike is capable of nearly 45-50 mpg when ridden easily and steadily at say 50-55 mph. But, for your riding condition 33 mpg isn't surprising.

Get out of that stop-and-go traffic one day soon, and take a nice long ride in the country, you'll see much better mpg from the bike.

#20 ·
That's just rounding error. 4.2 gallons tank capacity I think, but some of the gas can't get to the engine without taking the tank off because of that right lower lobe of the tank.

3 gallons to the light coming on/reserve, plus another gallon is close enough for government work, as they say. Which is if fact what I do ... :)

#21 ·
I typically get 95 miles before reserve (hard riding, FCR carbs, 813 cams, 24,000 miles)

#23 ·
Ran out of gas for the first time today. Luckily I literally coasted into a gas station. 171.9 miles. I put in 4.07 gallons. That works out to 42 mpg. Again, I'm not too thrilled with this, since this tank was almost all interstate riding at a steady 65-70 mph. What the f*ck?

Also, sn't a 2012 Scrambler tank supposed to hold 4.4 gallons?

#25 ·
Learn how to pump gas for a motorbike.
If you shove the filler in it will cut out before the tank is full. My carbed bike (has a slightly bigger tank) will get to 120miles before i hit reserve and i ride it like a twat.

Sit on the bike or put it on the centre stand so the tank is upright and fill it to the top, just the underside of the strange lip the tank has - and it will go further.

If your happy with the way you put gas in the tank then just enjoy those 92miles, as every time i put petrol in my bike i get nice comments about the bike, eg did you restore it yourself!

#26 ·
break in period

During your break in period you shouldn'd worry about MPG,just breaking her in properly so she'll run right with a long life ahead.Everything internally is tight when new and the rings have to seat themselves so break it in the way your going to ride it and you may have to "de-tune" it later.adjustments are set new for the least amount of emissions with only acceptable performance.You can visit that later.

#36 ·
I'm with you on the low mileage problem. I've been getting just over 90 miles before I have to switch to reserve. Fill up nets me 3+ gallons so I've been averaging 27ish mpg.
This is the worst it gets, but I expect it for the riding I'm doing. Short 10mi commute to work, all on city streets with stop and go traffic, and spirited dashes to the next light, hardly get out of 2nd gear as speeds are 40 or less the whole way.
2007 T100, Preds, K&N pod filters, AI removed...
I hope that the mileage will be much better once I take a long country road, just haven't had that opportunity yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.