Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Starting problem

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  WSC 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Legend with 7000 miles. I thought my battery was dead but a new battery hasnt helped. It wont start, it turns over slow or I get a clicking sound. The battery is good, seems like it is losing power to starter motor somehow. Anyone have a similar experience or any ideas what it could be? thx!

#7 ·
Starter Motor

Unless there was an inherent fault from manufacture or the starter was 'hammered' by a defective or semi flat battery over the years it should have lasted a lot longer. These starters are no different from the normal automotive starter in that the main wearing parts are the brushes and commutator. These are easily accessible once the starter is removed (an equally easy task).

As mentioned above, check the earth connections at both the soleniod and engine ends of the earth cable and ensure they are clean and making good contact.

The coolant needs to be changed every two years with a 50/50 mix of quality anti-freeze/inihibitor. Just as important, the cooling system should be thoroughly flushed with clean water prior to adding the new mixture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.