Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Cruise control for R3R with heated grips???

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  jamboa2003 
#1 ·
Hi All

Anyone out there in rocket world know of a quality cruise control that will fit a 2010 Roadster that already has genuine Triumph heated grips fitted?? Thanks

Cheers:D

#2 ·
I have the bar end throttle locks with the heated grips. I had the dealer install them before I picked it up. Not really crazy about the system. It works but that aftermarket 'breakaway' product seems more user friendly. I might end up taking it off my Shadow and installing it on the Rocket.

#3 ·
There's also the low tech approach of a "Throttle rocker" or "Crampbuster" (or some no-name variation.) Basically a bit of plastic that wraps around the throttle grip and lets you hold the throttle open by resting the palm of your hand on said piece of plastic. It doesn't lock the throttle in place, you don't have to keep readjusting it like a throttle lock and it still offloads your hand from having to constantly grip the bar.

It doesn't allow you to take your hand fully off the bar, though.

Works great for me at least with the original heated grips.

#6 ·
I've been looking at these, and would be interested to know if anyone has had any experience/s with them.

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/triumph

They look like they would do the job, but at $1,000, I think it would be cheaper to have wrist surgery to fix the problem, but thanks for the suggestion.

Why doesn't Triumph bring out a set as an accessory? They already have over 50 for the Roadster, so one more won't hurt

Cheers

#5 ·
UNTIL, I get so motivated to change out the throttle locks, I use the crampbuster. It's a must on trips.i The plastic expands a bit eventually but an additional rubberband between the supplied band the unit serves quite well. Crap, for $10 what the heck, it works

#7 ·
I know this is old stuff, but I thought I would respond anyway. I wrote Triumph about the cruise control issue. I actually received an answer back. I was told, that I should consider buying one of the new bikes that just came out with a crusie control. They also stated that they probably wouldn't be doing any legacy work. Sorry guys, but this isn't a business that wants repeat customers.

#11 ·
I too was perplexed that a bike that was supposed to be designed for touring/cruising was not equipped or even offered cruise control as an option. But not being able to have any control on that, the question is what can I do about it. I did pull up the link, on an aftermarket system, offered in a previous post because I am also looking into having heated grips put on my rocket. After getting over the shock of the initial investment, there appears to be a need to make a modification on the Rocket(Moving or removal of the Carbon Canister if equipped) to accommodate the space for the computer. While the system looks fairly simple and user friendly and if the modification issue could be resolved, it's the installation and the impact on my warranty that raises some concerns. Sure would appreciate any other thoughts or comments.:confused:

#12 ·
The Rostra cruise control will work with only minor fabrication. It costs about $200 all in and if you are handy the job can be completed for about 25% of the mccruise cost. It is all electronic and needs no vacuum canister and the one piece computer/actuater is very small. You will also need a speed sensor amplifier as the speedo signal is not adequate to run the cruise computer. It will fit without having to do any surgery to other systems, only some bracket fabrication. With the exception of BMW, I know of no other motorcycle that has cruise control from the factory that doesn't have drive by wire. Cruise with drive by wire only needs some more code in the computer to make it work. Yamaha has announced CC on the new FJR1300 only after it went to dbw. Harley Davidson never had cruise control until the switch to drive by wire and has no retrofit factory system for cable throttle. So don't think it is just Triumph not addressing your needs, it is all manufacturers.

#13 ·
I installed the electronic cruise control from Motorcycle cruise control. It is a little expensive but I think it was well worth the money. If you have some mechanical ability they have the best instructions I have ever seen. I stalled the entire control myself and it works just like the one in my car. I would recommend it to anyone who takes long trips you just can’t beat it. There are some guys who have made a car one work but there are a lot of wiring tie-ins and parts to make and I just wasn’t sure if I wanted to risk my life on a half homemade deal so I spent the extra money. If you want to see the instructions b/4 you buy one to see if you think you can install it just e mail them and they will send them to you. That’s how I decided that I could do it.

Trapper

#15 ·
I had a swivel lock the washer would lock the throttle but it is low tech and it needed tweeking for the speed unlike a real cruise contril. The Rocket platform is a great one but it needs some techy things to bring it up the this century. While I am buying another rocket Roadster...I will continue to use my wing for the long trips, at least until triumph outfits the Rocket with the extras or gives the rider the choice of extras.

#16 ·
Bikes want (need) to rediscover the 'other way'. The slab is a place for a nap and watch people in cars text. The adventure is where cruise control is really not appropriate. Especially for a grand!
Just cause you CAN go from Chattanooga to Cheyenne in a day on a Rocket, doesn't mean you should! (Thanks be to Cramp Buster)
Lee, I'm looking to go to Deming and Puerto Palomas from ABQ next weekend. Wanna come?

#17 ·
I can certainly understand and respect your point about the thrill and joy of traveling on the wondrous ribbons of roads that existed prior to the creation of the super slab. Those roads allowed people to explore and discover the unique and beautiful areas of this country. For those of us that live in certain areas of the country(i.e. the Mid West) there are still some areas where the roads miles long and straight and where having a cruise can allow the rider to sit back and enjoy the view. But your point is well taken not forget, the joy of the road trip is not just the destination but also the journey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.