Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Wearing shorts while riding

9K views 87 replies 53 participants last post by  leftarmlogan 
#1 ·
I can't believe how many cruiser (mostly Harley) riders I see wearing shorts, tank tops, sandals and no helmet. Is anyone else seeing this in other locations, or are riders in Iowa just clueless?

Kem

#2 ·
See it all the time around here, and not just cruiser riders. Most of them look at me like I'm crazy for wearing a long pants and a black leather jacket when it's 100F.
I've done the road rash thing; I'd rather be a little hot.

#3 ·
Very common and popular here with the HD weekend warrior crowd and of course the sport bikers...the sport bikers usually have have a hot young babe on the bitch seat wearing matching attire.

Bob

#17 ·
Immortality of youth

Very common and popular here with the HD weekend warrior crowd and of course the sport bikers...the sport bikers usually have have a hot young babe on the bitch seat wearing matching attire.

Girl down the street is dating a guy on a CBR 600 (I think). BTW, how can anybody willingly ride pillion on that thing? Anyway I thought it was funny that he would show up in full racing leathers (pucks, aero back pad, the whole nine yards). She'd hop on wearing short shorts a halter and flip flops, can't believe her parents are okay with this. After they did away with the helmet law here, he showed up in the same getup, sans bucket (I can't believe he's been riding the requisite two years to qualify for no helmet, I didn't think either of them were 18 anyway). I found that super funny, apparently he wears the leathers in hopes of being mistaken for a motogp rider out on a day off. Yesterday with temps around 100, they took off, her in her usual beach ready garb and he likewise (but shirtless) and both without helmets. I've seen this tool riding around and he rides like he's being chased (even with her on the back). Sadly, I expect I'll be reading about them in the paper soon.

#5 ·
No I just saw a program on the History Channel with a German Archeologist riding a KLR 650 across the Sahara in shorts, tank top, & sneakers. Proving that smart people do dumb things too :rolleyes:.

#12 ·
I tend to wear shorts when riding as I wear them at work. Mind you, I do have my armoured bike trousers over them... Er, we are talking "shorts" as in short legged outer garments, and not underwear,yeah? Cos I wear the underwear type when riding (m/c) as well ;)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Motorcycle.com App

#13 ·
The other day I saw a guy and a girl on an older model KTM duke (underseat exhaust and no heat shield on header pipe) thy both had shorts and flip-flops on but they did have helmets !! Funny thing they where both riding bow-legged to keep their exposed legs away from the hot exhaust.
Funniest one was a couple of years ago coming home from Mid-Ohio race weekend some clown on a GSXR (gixxer for the cool guys) blew by me like I was standing still. Same deal, t-shirt, shorts, flip-flops and an sweet new AGV helmet, he then set up for the corner ahead and dropped his inside knee out as he entered the corner!! Knee slider, knee cap all the same thing right!? OY!!

#19 ·
I knew a guy years ago (I had only been riding for a couple of years then), who was wearing shorts and did a low speed drop (u Turn) in a parking lot. Lost the front end on some gravel. He got some gravel rash but nothing major. problem was the gravel is not exactly sterile (dog crap, goose crap, etc.) so 3 days later tehy amputated his leg at the hip due to gangrene. Yikes! I always wear gear now... even road rash heals but I can't grow a new limb!

#21 ·
On my drive down to the family 4th of July celebration and get together I lost count of the number of riders in shorts. Since the first part of the drive was Iowa the average rider had shorts, t-shirts, and no helmets. On the way back at around 2am I was passed by a crotch rocket doing at least 85 into a construction zone with his and his passenger's helmets on the helmet locks on the side of the bike.

I'm a fair skinned ginger so I like as little sun exposure as possible. There's little feelings of freedom for me while nursing a sunburn so I cover up.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#25 ·
Not seen any shorts & sandals - scuba gear very common lately tho'

#29 ·
Yup that's me. I was going to be IrishGuy but I hear that name is already taken.

My coworker and I were discussing the flip flops the other day. Shorts I think are not the brightest move but I guess on some level I don't go much faster on city streets than I do on my bicycle. Flip flops on the other hand just amaze me. Gravel or oil at a stop light and losing footing equals a painful spill. Seems a good chunk of those with the flip flops or saddles are on the heavy weight bikes. I would think I'd want all the help I could keeping traction and upright if it went to spill. But that's just me.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#30 ·
I just got back from riding in New Hampshire and Maine and must have been the only one on the road in full gear. I did see a few sport tourers with jackets and helmets.
Southern California riders wear far more gear in comparison.

#32 ·
This past week I saw a gorgeous hot babe (thought of you fellas and that I ought to have taken a pic for y'all's thread!) in a tiny bikini top and really short shorts, barefoot, riding pillion on a sport bike.

Eye candy for sure! :p

But CHEESE AND CRACKERS!!! She made my skin crawl!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.