Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Stuck oil filter!

13K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  GySchmit 
#1 ·
So I decided to save some money and do the 500 mile service myself. Turned out that wasn't the best idea. I warm up the bike, drain the oil, and go to take the oil filter off when the stuff hits the fan. I have a three pronged oil filter socket attachment that gets tighter as you turn it, all that did was dent the filter and actually put a hole in it. Since the hole was in it already I decided to try the old hammer in a flat head and twist. All that did was end up tearing off the part closest to the ground and cause oil to go everywhere. Any suggestions on how to get half a stuck oil filter off? Thanks in advance!

#36 ·
I know that I am going to get flak for this; but, while it does no harm, putting a smear of oil on the gasket is not needed. That advice is just to make sure that the average person changing the oil filter makes a last check to make sure that there is a rubber gasket present.

Stuck filters are primarily due to over tightening and/or turning the wrong way.

I don't put oil on the gaskets of my oil filters and I only tighten them hand tight. Never had a problem in many years with many cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, and other small engines.

#38 ·
The torn O rings that you saw, were they the result of hand tightening or tightening with a wrench?

Like I said, smearing a little oil or other lube won't hurt. It if feels better, do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.