Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Touring screen

19K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  Sim1050 
#1 ·
Anyone fitted a taller screen for touring? I find that I get a fair bit of buffeting around my head, I'm 6'3" and its a pain. Any suggestions or reccomendaions for a change of screen?

#4 ·
After five months of riding I got fed up with the noise and ordered a California Scientific windscreen. I opted for the "+9" version (nine inches taller than stock), figuring I can cut it down if it's too tall. I'm 5' 11" tall, and my bike has the low seat; it turns out the +7 version would have been a better fit. The Cal Sci screen is a bit more vertical than the stock screen, which threw off my calculations. I haven't cut the screen down yet, because it's still below my line of sight, but I probably will when springtime comes. As tall as you are, the +9 screen would probably be perfect.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Tigerprod.html

The Cal Sci screen made a huge difference in noise at lower speeds. Below 60 mph, noise is almost non-existent and I can ride with my visor up. At higher speeds the noise is there, but it's more of a sputter than a roar. Above 80 mph there is some slight buffeting, and I notice that the front of my jacket is actually sucked forward from low pressure behind the screen.

And interesting side effect is that installation of the new screen has eliminated the fairing rattle on rough roads. I don't know this is a good thing, since it probably means the weight of the screen is twisting the fairing a bit.

The Cal Sci screen is well worth its price, which came out to 200 USD with shipping. Obviously it will cost quite a bit more to ship one to Scotland.

#6 ·
i seem to be one of the few that do not mind the stock screen. being in the wind (to me) is a big part of motorcycling. if it is just the noise that bothers you i agree, noise fatigue can really wear you down. i always use ear plugs under my helmet. it is a lot easier than trying to find a better screen.

#8 ·
went on a 400 mile trip on Sunday to get enough miles on the bike for its first service. after much experimenting i found a setting on the mra x-screen that suited me. I dont mind wind noise and also wear ear plugs, it was the buffeting noise with the standard screen that was spoiling the enjoyment.Anyway found the position (almost flat) and now all is well. The only way I could find it was a bit naughty to say the least, I left the locks unlocked and moved things whilst riding.

#10 ·
Contact Fairing Screen Gustafsson in St. Augustine, Fl. They make over 1500 different screens for just about any fairing made. I just bought a 6 1/2 inch taller dark tint for a Shoei fairing I have on my 09 Bonneville. I've bought screens for Guzzi's and my Honda Helix from them. Man and wife operation and excellent personal service.

#12 ·
I just fit the MRA Xcreen to the 1050. Here's what found so far;

Parts missing. They sent one to many screws and one too few nuts!
They sent me the wrong moulding to go around the screen. Why this was not pre fit is beyond me! I contacted MRA and they have now sent me a new moulding and will let you know how it fits!

How does it work? So far so good. It does reduce buffeting on the helmet ( I'm 6 foot 1) but the new MRA main screen is narrower than the OEM touring screen so now I get more wind on the shoulder area. This is however preferable to the buffet on the helmet horror! Above 75MPH on the motorway and it wobbles a bit! Could have been sturdier.

Over all out of ten I'd give it a 6. Parts missing? Unacceptable IMO. Build quality is below average. Worth the £135+? very questionable.

I will reassess it after I get some more miles with it.

Beef

#13 ·
MRA Xcreen!

Well were do I start. Overall out of ten? 3

Does it stop the buffeting? Yes. But.

It s very poor quality. I'm sending it back and in fact I'm off to the NEC Bike show in Birmingham and I will take it with me to discuss the problems. Namely build quality. At motorway speeds it wobbles like mad as it is simply not sturdy enough. The ridiculous moulding that goes around the screen still does not fit! This despite two attempts at them sending me the "right" one. The finish left around the edge is poor and the cut is not straight.

I'll let you all know what they say at MRA when I get to speak with them at the NEC!

Beef

#15 ·
I agree it seems to wobble a bit, but it works so well and transformeed the bike.
I bought a 2012 model tiger and was wondering if I had made a mistake after the first long ride, now i couldnt be happier. The screen has a lifetime waranty, so not worried.
will be intrested to see what MRA say though.

#16 ·
Back from the NEC show and guess what? No MRA stand.

I have now e-mailed MRA to see what they say but my next thoughts are to mount the visor part of the Xcreen to my Triumph touring screen. This will involve drilling new holes into it to mount the visor. I just can not see using the Xcreen as it is! Too poor quality for me. Good luck to those out there who like it as to each his own.

Cheers

#17 ·
Madstad Windshield system is the way to go. No wind noise, wider than stock so it also blocks the wind off of me. I can ride with my visor up at speeds up to 75mph with no problem. Best money I have spent for extras yet. Long trips are a pleasure. Counld not be happier.

#19 ·
This week I trimmed 1.5 inches off the top of my "+9" California Scientific windscreen. I took it for a test ride today and I'm happy with the results. The top of the screen is now well below my line of sight, yet there seems to be no significant change in noise or buffeting. The airstream seems to pass directly over my helmet. I may trim even more off the screen.

#20 ·
i was thinking about getting a standard size mra smoked/tint screen coz i like the way they are black at the bottom which hides the dirty bit that you can`t fit your hand into to clean. buffeting and wind noise are not an issue for me,i just want the best quality screen on the market(cosmetic).
i see a couple of members state that the quality of the mra item is poor so i`m now back to sqaure one.btw i just recieved my evotech rad cover,which is really nice

#22 ·
MRA Multivario Dark w/ Adjustable Lip

I have had my MRA Multi V. for 2 years now and couldn't be happier with the look, performance, quality and versatility. Fits like a glove, adjustable and really works. I am 6' tall 32/33 inseam with stock seat. In addition to being the best, sleekest looking screen out there the build quality is excellent with "NO" vibes what so ever even at over a ton! The wind noise has been cut by 75% and buffeting by 95%! The vent at the bottom of the screen neutralizes the air flow behind the screen and the adjustable lip directs the rest where you want it. I like the wind hitting my shoulders but this takes the blast of the torso and head.

I can't get by the looks of most of the other screens...:eek: they don't follow the bikes lines and look out of place. To each his own. However I do recognize you must do what works for you.

#26 ·
I would love to post some pictures but I do not know how....alas but a NOOB. I would be more than happy to send several to someone who could post them for me in this thread. Please send an email address and I will send them to you.
if i can do it anyone can:confused: first you need to set up an account with photobucket then you can upload selected photos to create your own photobucket album.
let me know when you`ve done that and i will guide you through the next step

#25 ·
Finally got the MRA Vario fitted, just waiting for te snow to clear to get out and take it for a run. Bought it from MPA, British distributor, have to say they're taking the piss. The replacement screen is identical to the original, and the spoiler comes with a template for drilling holes to mount it. Wonder why they don't offer the spoiler on its' own?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.