Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - My plastic tank failed (cracked) - '04 RS
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Laura0107
Grand Prix 500

Unhappy My plastic tank failed (cracked) - '04 RS

I haven't posted here in a while, and I'm sad that it's news like this that prompts me to post:

I've been recovering from a broken left foot (from bouncing a DR650 off of it) and hadn't ridden the Sprint for about 7 weeks. It was about 3/4 full of Ethanol-containing fuel, and had been sitting in our non-climate-controlled garage during one of our hottest summers on record. It is not leaking from the crack (at least not yet).

I'm so bummed, and none of my options seems appealing. New tank - at least $800. Used tank off eBay - $200-400, and what if that one fails too? Buy a plastic welder for $230 and some rods (polyamide?) and have to strip the outside, clean the inside, repaint, new decals - yuck, and what if I don't get the inside clean enough and an explosion ensues, or what if the other side cracks a couple of months later? Part the bike out on eBay - don't have the time or energy for that, and I love the bike!

What to do, what to do?

...Mama loves short track, short track, short track, but what she really loves is THE MILE.

Last edited by Laura0107; 09-14-2010 at 09:21 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome