Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Triumph Hurricane X75

13K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  tip rat 
#1 ·
For sale on ebay, item no 250668031275.

Thinking of making a bid ? Don't see them advertised very often..

Any opinions on the bike would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Paul.

#2 ·
:( I've ridden one. It went well, but ran out of steam early. Very low geared. Abysmal tank range, 2 gallons I think. The usual conical hub brake issues. Last, but not least, is the ludicrous prices they are fetching. £10,000+ is the going rate for a good one. Still, you could always put it in the living room, as a work of art!

#8 ·
Think I read somewhere that the frames were weak where the front forks attach, and were prone to cracking. Not sure about this, but I would research, maybe Google it and see what turns up, or wait for the experts to give opinions about this.

Good luck if you decide to go after it, they are beautiful bikes.

#9 ·
:( Just had a look at the one on e-bay. It's at £11,000 and it needs cosmetic work! It's a lot of money, but if you want one bad enough.........................! I once very nearly re-mortgaged my house to buy a '72 MV. And that was £35,000! If you want it, get it! Hardly a day goes by when I don't wonder," what if I'd bought it?" But I got cold feet! Bloody motorbikes.

#15 ·
Interesting hearing different peoples opinions...Well the 1st one has now sold for £13.5k, the 2nd one which I am probably more interested starts at £13.5k but really need to go and view it first, any advice on what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated, also has any members in the states heard of AMR of Tuson, Alternative Motorcycle Restorationthis is the company that did a full restoration in 2001.

#16 ·
:confused: Are you buying it to ride, or as an investment? I only ask because they aren't very nice to ride, and if you get a fake one, (of which there are many) you'll never get your money back. You need to consult an expert who really knows these bikes. A friend of mine paid top dollar for a Goldie last year. Turned out to be a fake. He's kicking himself now, but it's too late. I would be very wary of buying off e-bay, but that's just me. Beware!

#18 ·
It's pretty easy to spot a fake X75 so long as you know what to look out for ... I've had mine for 20 years and you sort get to know all the wrinkles :) .

this one on EBAY is very interesting in tat it looks from the numbers to be the first production hurricane off the line ...

steve

#19 ·
also ...

it is quite hard to copy an X75 and not that viable in cost ... you need a Mk2 Rocket 3 as a donor in the first place which are not cheap .... by time you pay for yokes, stanchions , tank /seat , exhaust system , oil tank , grab rail, 5 speed gear cluster , and quite a few other hard to get bits it would probably be cheaper to buy a real one :)

steve

#20 · (Edited)
it is quite hard to copy an X75 and not that viable in cost
In the UK, you can pick up a Trident/Rocket III for about £5000 (sometimes less). Hurricanes sell for £15000+. There are probably more fake Hurricanes than real one.
The other three widely fakes bikes are: Gold Stars, Rocket Gold Stars and Thruxton Bonnevilles (the original ones)
Faked bikes are a real problem in UK.

#23 ·
Hi epynt1050

I am most happy to assist your self or anyone here planning on purchasing an X75 ... just need the numbers and a few pictures to see if it's genuine and a bit of time to do some checking ...
HTH

personally if I had to pay what some of them go for go for now (some a lot more than others ) i probably wouldn't pay it, I can think of several other machines all of which i could buy for the same money ... got mine when no one really wanted them .. ... nice bike , lovely to ride , crap range ( about 70 miles ) and quite rare in that i hardly ever see one on the road .... mine ... well it's done 90,000 miles ... i ride it pretty much every day ..

steve

#24 ·
Thanks for all your comments, but think now i'll give this one a miss, lots of money to pay out when really it won't get used much, I know if I got a genuine one it would be a good investment, but am thinking now of maybe looking for a triple T160 that is probably going to be a more practical & useable purchase. Thanks again for everyones input, greatly appreciated, Paul.

#25 ·
Hurricane

Yep, there's one for sale down in Western Australia......Red 1972 model, matching numbers.......mint condition.......$A34,000........

Also a 1954 Triumph T110.............$A29,000......yipe !

#27 ·
back in the early 1980s my mate had a t160 ,and stuck a norman hyde 900 cc kit in it ,,,,,now that was a jap bike killer,,,no one came close to him on that beast ,, and the ride was so smooth,,ill never forget the times i road that bike,,,,,,,,,,i can tell you that we out run the coppers a few times,,:D:D:D, hey that was 30 years ago,,,,:eek:........albert the tiprat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.