Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1999 Legend (Fair price)

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Jag312 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am in need of some help in determining a fair value of a bike I am looking to buy over the coming weekend.

Its a 1999 Legend, 7k miles, no mods and in excellent shape. New tires and battery and the pictures he sent of the bike look very nice. Owner is asking $3400 and I know without seeing it in person its hard to determine but I thought I would ask. What do you think is a fair price is??

Also, are there specific things, other than usual used bike things, to look for in a used Legend??

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
First off thank for all the responses.

Just got back from looking at the bike. What a piece of JUNK. The seller completly misrepresented it and the pictures really did not show all the issues. Front fender was a replacement and wrong color, rust and pitting everywhere and it had obviously been in an accident. So I ask to see the title and it had SALVAGE all over the top of it. When I aked him about it, he said he just realized that he had forgotten to tell me about the salvage title. What a jerk. So the search continues.

#10 ·
According to the Kelley Blue Book, the value of the 1999 Legend is $2,485. Since I bought a 1999 Legend last year with only 9,400 miles on it, I learned a few things to consider. Because the bike has obviously sat for long periods, it may have some problems develop just from not running. Mine had to have the carbs rebuilt and the air filter replaced. My air filter was in bad shape, crumbling, and that caused the carb failure (the bike was running sick then). I was advised to use Sea Foam in it, which I did, and it ran better for a short time. Then it got worse and I had to have the carbs rebuilt and the filter replaced for $513. On the other hand, it's a rare, special interest bike, so I personally value them higher than the book value. Just some food for thought. It's the best handling bike in the twisties, fun factor is high. Read the forums on this website about experiences with the Legends; there's a wealth of information there. Bottom line, what is the bike worth to you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.