Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

What boots and Jacket for Modern Classics?

55K views 60 replies 36 participants last post by  ccrider77 
#1 ·
I have Goldtop wool lined boots from 1978 and they are great particularly with white cafe socks. Comfortable, warm, look the business. But in rain they leak. I also have a Belstaff cordura jacket - looks the part but like the boots, suffers in real rain. I detest these modern bootie things that may be waterproof but are quite simply not the real Brit thing. And I loathe Hein Gericke stuff, because it is just not the real deal. Does anyone have suggestions for Brit bike gear that look the part but also deals with the weather for those longer trips?

#2 ·
Bluddy nora - worrying about image? Isn't that a bit vain sofiaspin? :D

Nah just kidding. I would have thought that what you have there is pretty much it. I haven't seen anything on the market that matches that look.

There's always old school flying gear of various different types. Warm, but not necessarily waterproof.

#5 ·
How about the wax cotton Belstaff and or Barbour jackets? Belstaff also makes an all wax cotton over pants now. I love my Barbour and is totallywater proof, have vents holes under the arms, and the pockett flaps won't let any water in them. Not to mention the belt to help keep the warmth in when dressing in layers. It's an excellent jacket and packs easily. Doesn't get anymore traditional than that.

#6 · (Edited)
These leather Altberg Clubman Classic waterproof boots are superb. I bought mine 5 or 6 years ago. They have NEVER let water in. They are very warm in sub zero temperatures, and are supremely comfortable on the bike. I can (and have) walked miles in these boots at race meetings with very little wear to the soles. They are as comfortable off the bike as my indoor slippers. I fell of my track bike at the Silverstone GP Circuit in the wet at over 70mph about 4 years ago and the boots were not even scratched.

The Original Altberg High Leg Bike Boot - unchanged since 1989 combines modern technology & components with traditional boot making. The boot is used by many UK & Scottish Police Forces.This is a tough boot - solid underfoot support and crush resistant midsole, waterproof membrane lining - tall classic leg design. A great British boot at its best in the worst British weather & conditions.
CE CERTIFIED PRE DIRECTIVE 89/686/EEC ANNEX II

Sizes: 3 1/2 - 13 1/2 Sole: Skywalk dual density trek
Width Fittings: XN, N, M, W, XW Midsole: 883 med/firm polypropelene
Weight: (size 8) 960 gms Lining: Cambrelle/hydromax waterproof breathable
Leg Height: (8) (includes boot heel) 37cms Leather: English full grain 2.2/2.4mm WR100
water repellent
Availability: made to order Calf Circumference: (size 8) @ 37-39cms

Here is their website.
http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle1.jsp

They also make the Clubman Classic's with Buckle fixings if you prefer that to my version, which uses Velcro. There are also several other designs available if you don't like this design.

Altberg will also re-sole their boots at a reasonable price. If and when my Altbergs need replacing, and I fully expect them to last at least 10 years, I would buy the same boots again. These boots are quality (and no, I do NOT work for this company, I'm a satisfied customer.

My leather jacket in the photo below taken a couple of years ago before the bike was modified is a Triumph item, which suits the cafe racer style IMO. The leather is very supple (but not waterproof) and it's very comfortable. The Davida helmet has since been replaced with an Arai open face helmet for occasional use, which although not as good quality as the materials used in the Davida, is more comfortable for me.

#7 ·
THanks Robno - I will enquire about Altberg as that could be the answer. Great photoalbum - is that an age related plate you have put on the bike? I am moving towards a Norvil restoration job on a Norton as the Thrux needs some real 60s company in the garage.

#8 ·
Without labouring the point too much (LOL) you would not regret buying a pair of Altberg boots.

The plate was transferred off a Vespa scooter circa 1959. I bought the plate quite cheaply off Ebay. The 746 is good as the bike was bought new on July 4th 2006, and the NS are my son's initials, with the 'J' standing for Junior!!! I know, I'm sad LOL. The bike and plate has been promised to him sometime in the distant future, when my biking days are over.

#9 ·
I am also a big fan of Altberg boots and have 2 pairs both absolutely perfect. I do admit to being a personal friend of the owner Mick Sheehan - once you know the man you begin to understand why he makes such good boots - he's absolutely passionate about what he does and is also a biker.

#29 · (Edited)
Brando is wearing a Schott Perfecto 618 - but you need to remember that 60mph was FAST back then...now it is advisable to have something with CE armor at least at the shoulders and elbows.

Best boot going (at least for me) are Dayton's - I have a pair of their 'Rider' boots, and love 'em - had a pair back a ways - lasted well over 10years. They have several styles suitable for 'retro' biker

http://www.daytonboots.com/

JM$0.02
FF

#13 · (Edited)
That's true Haggis.

get yersel' all dolled up in an RAF irvin, the submariner T neck, white silk scarf, Davida open face with Halcyon fighter pilot goggles, pair of jeans and a pair of those boots the others mentioned, with your roll over the top socks, and you'll look the biz.

:D

#14 ·
OK Haggis and Prop - I have the submariner jumper, silk scarf and socks from Ace Cafe. They are superb.

But the original question was about classic styled jaiket and boots that deal with the relentess rain. The sort of rain that comes in torrents coupled with strong winds.

I know you like to take the Mick or the Nora, but if you have something useful to say about classic gear that is suitable for rain, then I am all ears.

Anyway rant over, today I bought a Barbour vintage jacket in brown half price in the Jan sale.

We await your thoughts.

#23 ·
OK Haggis and Prop - I have the submariner jumper, silk scarf and socks from Ace Cafe. They are superb.

But the original question was about classic styled jaiket and boots that deal with the relentess rain. The sort of rain that comes in torrents coupled with strong winds.

I know you like to take the Mick or the Nora, but if you have something useful to say about classic gear that is suitable for rain, then I am all ears.

Anyway rant over, today I bought a Barbour vintage jacket in brown half price in the Jan sale.

We await your thoughts.
Have I been accused of extracting the michael?

Where I was brought up you'd be dead lucky to have a pair of wellies and a donkey jacket that fit! Never mind all this poncing abaart wif Italian retro!

#15 · (Edited)
Boots I Like

I have a pair of Italian made Jolly Boots.
They actually are Urban Search & Rescue boots but have everything you need in a Boot

1. They land about mid to upper shin
2. Steel Shank & Toe with no problem feeling the shift
3. are water proof
4. Kevlar / leather with reflective piping on the out side & rear

and best of all as a extra piece of mind are rated for Fire
They have a real Mad Max look

#16 ·
Actually I am a genuine fan of the RAF Irvin, but they are hideously expensive and not actually waterproof. Warm though.

I quite like the look of the boots mentioned earlier - was it by Robnobrakes? Those and a pair of the rollover the top white socks is good. That reminds me of me Dad from years ago.

And then I would say a Barbour or Belstaff, which you seem to have that covered.

I have the silk scarf bit, but have yet to acquire the rest. I keep spending my money elsewhere. :mad:

#20 ·
Yes Harris Tweed is probably more water repellent than that boring old waxed cotton stuff now produced in Italy but originally conceived and engineered in Blighty, along with most things worth having in life, including submarines.

These goggles would complement the best Harris, coupled with a pair of Church's finest ankle boots.

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayprod...1&agName=Goggles+-+Modern+style&pCode=051.225

Sadly not on a Thruxton.

#27 ·
TOTALLY Off-Topic...

I clicked some of the links here to see the period garb referenced in this thread. But along the way, I also clicked one other link...

Curiousity made me click on Guy Denning's site - if any of you have not yet checked out Guy's site, Guy Denning is a hell of an artist, WOW. Particularly look at the videos of Guy painting "Nakba2" and "The Future is Bright." Double WOW, the artwork and the accompanying music in these two offerings left me speechless.

Wow.

Regards,
XLXRider

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.